This week I discuss how to design a beer recipe with Denny Conn. Denny shares some of his tips on creating a home brewing recipe from scratch including imagining the beer, selecting ingredients, applying techniques and iterating to perfect the beer.
Download the MP3 File – Right Click and “Save As” to download this mp3 file
Topics in This Week’s Episode (37:36)
- Denny Conn is this week’s guest. Denny is a member of the American Homebrewer’s Association governing committee and a member of the Cascade Brewer’s Society. He has a web site on batch sparging at DennyBrew.com
- Denny wrote an article on beer recipe design for the May/June 2012 edition of Zymurgy magazine. We discuss many of his main points here on this episode.
- We start by discussing how one starts with a blank sheet of paper and begins imagining a beer.
- Denny shares his philosophy on researching beer styles and also ingredients.
- We talk about the next step which is developing the grain bill and selecting ingredients
- Denny shares some tips for “knowing your ingredients” well
- We talk about sugars and some unique flavors you can get from sugars
- Denny shares his thoughts on misc ingredients such as spices and flavorings (including mushrooms and vanilla beans)
- We discuss process issues like selecting mash temperatures, and applying hop techniques
- Denny shares a few tips for brewers just starting to design their first beer
- The American Homebrewers Association Conference which we discussed is June 27-29th in Philadelphia
Thanks to Denny Conn for appearing on the show and also to you for listening!
Thoughts on the Podcast?
Leave me a comment below or visit our discussion forum to leave a comment in the podcast section there.
Subscribe to the Podcast
Great News! We’ve been featured in the New and Notable podcasts on iTunes.
If you are not using iTunes, you can subscribe using this feed:
And finally, don’t forget to subscribe to the blog and my newsletter (use the links in the sidebar) – to get free weekly articles on home brewing.
Related Beer Brewing Articles from BeerSmith:
- Batch Sparging with Denny Conn – BeerSmith Podcast 27
- Experimental Homebrewing with Drew and Denny – BeerSmith Podcast #90
- Evaluating Your Beer with Denny Conn – BeerSmith Podcast #102
- Beer Brewing Myths – Holiday Episode – BeerSmith Podcast 29
- All Grain Beer Brewing with Chris Graham – BeerSmith Podcast #63
- Trends in Home Brewing with Jake Keeler – BeerSmith Podcast #84
- American Homebrewers Association with Gary Glass – BeerSmith Podcast 44
- The AHA and HomebrewCon 2016 with Gary Glass – BeerSmith Podcast #123
Don't make another bad batch of beer! Give BeerSmith a try - you'll brew your best beer ever.
Download a free 21 day trial of BeerSmith now