Poll

Will you brew this?

Yes, I'm going to brew this recipe exactly as it was designed by the group.
Yes, but I'm going to make some changes to it to fit my tastes.
Yes, but not right away, as I have too many other brews planned at this time.
Maybe, but I'm undecided.
No.  The style isn't a type of beer that I like to brew.
No,  I don't like the recipe, so I won't be brewing it.

Author Topic: BeerSmith Forums user recipe collaboration idea.  (Read 128997 times)

Offline bucknut

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
Re: BeerSmith Forums user recipe collaboration idea.
« Reply #180 on: March 09, 2014, 07:17:05 PM »
I prefer you magnum idea.

+1, it does make more since, I never did feel right about adding another type of hop.

Offline cmbrougham

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • I brews easily.
« Reply #181 on: March 09, 2014, 07:23:37 PM »
OK, I say we go with the Magnum full ounce addition at 30 minutes. This should make for "smooth bitterness" (which always seemed like one of those "jumbo shrimp" declarations), and we should also remember that the roasted malts will add their own bitter character. We've stayed on the lighter end of the darker malts, so it should be subtle and hopefully harmonize well with the botanically-induced bitterness.

I'll pretend for the moment that this is the plan and start considering yeasts. I had a thought but I think I'll change it slightly now. Do we want to have a go-round to do a final tweak of the malt and hop bill before moving on?

Offline Scott Ickes

• Brewing creatively and sharing the results!
« Reply #182 on: March 09, 2014, 07:30:56 PM »
OK, I say we go with the Magnum full ounce addition at 30 minutes. This should make for "smooth bitterness" (which always seemed like one of those "jumbo shrimp" declarations), and we should also remember that the roasted malts will add their own bitter character. We've stayed on the lighter end of the darker malts, so it should be subtle and hopefully harmonize well with the botanically-induced bitterness.

I'll pretend for the moment that this is the plan and start considering yeasts. I had a thought but I think I'll change it slightly now. Do we want to have a go-round to do a final tweak of the malt and hop bill before moving on?

I think you can select the yeast, as I don't see any other tweaks that would be significant.

Here is where we're at:

DRB1215                           Style of recipe to be designed.                            Chose Robust Porter
Road Rocket                      Base Grain and quantity.                                    Chose 10 lbs. of Maris Otter Malt
All Grain                            Specialty grain and quantity.                               Chose 1 lb. of Pale Chocolate Malt
Scott Ickes                       Second specialty grain and quantity.                    Chose 1.5 lbs. of Munich Malt
Brewmex41                      Third specialty grain and quantity.                        Chose 2 lbs. of Brown Malt
Grathan                            Mash Profile.                                                          Chose Mash Temp of 156F/69C for a full body beer
WinnepegFats                  First hop type, quantity and time added.              Chose 1 ounce of Magnum (30 minutes)(13.7 AA,36.6 IBU)
Billy Brew                         Second hop type, quantity and time added.          Chose 1 ounce of Willamette (15 minutes)(6 AA,10.3 IBU)
Bucknut                           Third hop type, quantity and time added.               Chose 1 ounce of East Kent Goldings (5 minutes)(5.7 AA,3.9 IBU)
CMBrougham                   Yeast selection

CMBrougham.  You're up.  Please choose a yeast strain and please tell us the cell count that you think is needed.

For those that are following along.  Here is a yeast count calculator link that is very handy.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

I've also attached an updated BeerSmith file of the current version.
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
 Dubel (Aged in Malbec Wine Barrel
Aging:
 80 Shilling (In bourbon barrel)
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes
https://creativebrewing.wordpress.com

Offline cmbrougham

• I brews easily.
« Reply #183 on: March 09, 2014, 08:16:33 PM »
OK, here goes:

Given the OG of this porter and the full bodied mash, contrasting with the somewhat subdued hopping rate, my feeling is we need something relatively attenuative. However, it can't be too dry, lest the roastiness of the brown malt and chocolate malt become too overbearing.

We're going with mild amounts of flavor/aroma hops that should meld well with the roast and toast flavors, but will be relatively minor players, so other than lingering sweetness and maltiness, the party could get a little boring. As such, I think we need a yeast that's going to bring some interesting hors d'oeuvres by way of some fruity esters. These will hopefully peek out from behind the coffee and chocolate first string, enticing you to ask, "what's back there?"

With that, I'm selecting WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast from White Labs or Thames Valley Ale 1275 from Wyeast. If dry yeast is your thing, I think Nottingham would be your best bet; I like Safale S-04 but it's not the ticket here, and there is a Mangrove Jack's M79 Burton Ale, but I've not used it nor read really favorable things about it.

We could go with a drier, more attenuative strain like WLP007 Dry English, but I fear this would make the beer equivalent to drinking cold day-old coffee. Not a pleasant thought, as far as I'm concerned.

Thoughts? Comments? General ridicule?

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #184 on: March 09, 2014, 11:20:05 PM »

With that, I'm selecting WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast from White Labs or Thames Valley Ale 1275 from Wyeast.

Thoughts? Comments? General ridicule?

I actually like either one of these, but I'm leaning towards the WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast. 

I recently brewed a Porter with an almost identical grain bill.  My hopping rate was considerably lower though at 26.4 as the beer was more in line with a Baltic Porter.  I was after some residual sweetness.  I used Wyeast 1028 London Ale in it.  The attenuation of the 1028 was 75%.  We have enough bittering, that I think we need a less attenuative yeast strain.  The Burton Ale WLP023 has an attenuation of 72%, whereas the Thames Valley Ale 1275 from Wyeast has an attenuation of 77%.

My reasoning is that I think we want to have some residual sweetness and not dry it out too much, since we have the IBU's so high.  The WLP007 Dry English has an attenuation of 75%, which is the same as the Wyeast 1028 London Ale that I recently used in my Porter.

So, my vote is for the WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast.
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline Roadrocket

• I've tried jogging but I kept spilling my beer
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2014, 11:03:40 AM »
+2 on the WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast.

It's interesting to see the thought process. It's a great choice.
When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

Offline all grain

• variables,variables, so many variables
« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2014, 12:01:36 PM »
hey guys what is the closest dry yeast to that? notty is what I 'm thinking. yes.
brewing is an art form not just a science ,dude where's my beer!

Offline cmbrougham

• I brews easily.
« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2014, 12:09:02 PM »
Yes, I think Nottingham would be your closest dry yeast alternative.

When I listed both, it's because all the literature I read and the comparisons listed by those who have used both suggested these are the same, or at least very similar, strains. That's not based on anything other than hearsay, though. I recognize that some folks will only use one or the other of the major liquid yeast brands, so part of my decision was fueled by finding something similar from both providers that would give the necessary characteristics. Personally, if I do brew this, I'll probably use WLP023 as well, but I wanted to leave the option open.

Offline drb1215

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »
+1 on the WPL 023, although I can see using the 1275 as well (but I'll stick with the White's).  Great choice and this is going to be awesome beer and exercise!

-Dan

Offline bucknut

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2014, 03:11:36 PM »
Not sure which I'll use yet, prob going with the 1275 or the notty.

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »
I've used the nottingham dry yeast.  I actually have some of it that I harvested.  It's a nice strain of yeast and I've always had good success with it.  I probably won't use it in this beer though.  I'll use the WLP023.  There are enough people using the WLP023, that I want to brew it identical to them.

Brewmex41 only lives a couple of miles from me and where going to probably brew this side by side at my house.  We'll just get one vial of the yeast and I'll make a huge starter on my stir plate so that we can split it.  We'll save $7 between us that way.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 04:26:58 PM by Scott Ickes »
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2014, 04:25:55 PM »
Here is the recipe.  Are we good to go with it as is?  Any last minute changes?

DRB1215                           Style of recipe to be designed.                            Chose Robust Porter
Road Rocket                      Base Grain and quantity.                                    Chose 10 lbs. of Maris Otter Malt
All Grain                            Specialty grain and quantity.                               Chose 1 lb. of Pale Chocolate Malt
Scott Ickes                       Second specialty grain and quantity.                    Chose 1.5 lbs. of Munich Malt
Brewmex41                      Third specialty grain and quantity.                        Chose 2 lbs. of Brown Malt
Grathan                            Mash Profile.                                                          Chose Mash Temp of 156F/69C for a full body beer
WinnepegFats                  First hop type, quantity and time added.              Chose 1 ounce of Magnum (30 minutes)(13.7 AA,36.6 IBU)
Billy Brew                         Second hop type, quantity and time added.          Chose 1 ounce of Willamette (15 minutes)(6 AA,10.3 IBU)
Bucknut                           Third hop type, quantity and time added.               Chose 1 ounce of East Kent Goldings (5 minutes)(5.7 AA,3.9 IBU)
CMBrougham                   Yeast selection                                                        Chose White Labs Burton Ale Yeast (WLP023)     

Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline all grain

« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2014, 04:30:31 PM »
Yaba daba doo ,Its ready to brew!
  Ok, I had to do that. ...all looks good to me, I really like the hops.

Offline cmbrougham

• I brews easily.
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2014, 06:28:26 PM »
I really like the hops.
Funny--what I like least is the hops. In fact, if I brew this (which is looking doubtful since I have some higher priority brews I want to make), I'll keep the grain bill but abandon the hop bill pretty much completely. The malts are something I'd probably pick if I were doing this on my own; the hops, not so much. This recipe is about 85% British--I don't see a reason not to make it 100% for my own personal consumption. I'm sure it'll make a tasty beverage as it stands, though.

Offline all grain

« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2014, 07:03:47 PM »
I really like the hops.
Funny--what I like least is the hops. In fact, if I brew this (which is looking doubtful since I have some higher priority brews I want to make), I'll keep the grain bill but abandon the hop bill pretty much completely. The malts are something I'd probably pick if I were doing this on my own; the hops, not so much. This recipe is about 85% British--I don't see a reason not to make it 100% for my own personal consumption. I'm sure it'll make a tasty beverage as it stands, though.
\

well I did say hops were my weakness. I should not say this but I will. i have been known to grab a few oz s of hops "the first ones I see"  and brew. now 31 batches latter i'm just now starting to get them right. at least in some of my brews.