Author Topic: Pre-Boil Gravity Calculations??  (Read 7693 times)

madbrewer

Pre-Boil Gravity Calculations??
« on: August 08, 2008, 10:55:11 AM »
Is there a calculation for Pre-Boil Target gravity for your recipes in Beer-Smith.  This is one of the most important features for me on my brew day.  Having a target pre-boil gavity allows me to either add sugar / boil longer, or dilute my wort depending on my target Gravity. 

The Boil off tool is ok for a shoot from the hip guess and check approach, but it does not specifically take your brewing equipment into consideration.  A readout in SG and Plato would be great.  Although I feel Pro-Mash is an inverior tool to beersmith, the Pre-Boil numbers in pro-mash is one of the best feateres about that software and I miss it most on my brew days. 

Am I missin a featere in BeerSmith? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Offline UselessBrewing

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
Re: Pre-Boil Gravity Calculations??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 11:48:52 AM »
I have yet to find a field that states "Preboil" Gravity in the software, I do know it can calculate this for you because I have written a BrewSheet that includes this information on it. You can find it here http://www.beersmith.com/forum/index.php?topic=1465.msg5878#msg5878 as an attachment to one of my posts.

Cheers

Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:42:54 PM »
Hi,
  You can see the estimated pre-boil gravity by opening a recipe and clicking on the "Brewhouse Efficiency" button.

Cheers,
Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

beerthirty

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 08:29:04 AM »
PBG is also listed on the classic brewsheet, although PB volume is not.  Brad that may be something to add to future versions for those of us that use a printed brewsheet. I'm so ashamed, I have no laptop. :-[

modification