Author Topic: Extract Question  (Read 2733 times)

Offline mterm

• BeerSmith Brewer
Extract Question
« on: October 09, 2009, 05:42:53 AM »
I have only been brewing for a few months and have yet to make the step to all grain brewing figure it is best to get some extract brewing under my belt. I came across a recipe that was an all grain and it called for 8# of American 2 row so i converted it to liquid extract by multiplying it by .75 and came up with 6# of liquid extract. I also read that when using malt extract you do not get a beer that has the malty flavor you get from all grain brewing. If i was to replace some of the liquid extract with American 2 row and steep it with the other specialty grain before the boil would I be able to get some of the malt flavor or would I be wasting my time. I was thinking of maybe using 1# of American 2 row.

Offline MaltLicker

• Global Moderator
  • BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
    • Blue Ribbon Brews
Re: Extract Question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 08:33:11 AM »
Absolutely, assuming you steeped that base grain between 148F and 158F (roughly) that would be considered a partial mash, and a great way to add fresh malty flavor and aroma.  If you can use only 1#, I'd recommend not reducing the LME this first time, since you have no idea how effective you'll be at rinsing any sugars from the partial-mash grains.  You won't raise your OG out of whack.  BSmith will calculate the strike water temps for you.  I used to heat the water in the 5-gallon pot on the stove to that strike temp, add grains, and then put into a preheated oven at about 170F.  That kept it around 153F fairly well. 

Offline mterm

• BeerSmith Brewer
Re: Extract Question
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 10:30:53 AM »
Maltlicker,
Thanks for the tip I never thought of putting the pot in the oven.... I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks Again
Mark