Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Why Most Beer Brewers Today Use a Single Boil Addition
  http://beersmith.com/blog/2022/05/05/why-most-beer-brewers-today-use-a-single-boil-addition

Cheers,
Brad
BeerSmith 3 Support / Re: Couldn't register clipboard format on Beersmith 3
« Last post by jomebrew on May 05, 2022, 08:53:10 AM »
This has been reported once before. My suggestion was to backup the beersmith data folder and reinstall.  The user never replied so I assumed it was fixed. 
Equipment / Re: Beersmith a Strike Calculations
« Last post by GigaFemto on May 05, 2022, 08:52:40 AM »
Some complicated equations going on there.

Given that I know that if I heat my strike water to 83C with 22KG grains and preheat my mash tun to 45C and hit (on average) 66C, could I work backwards and alter the Mash Tun Specific Heat number accordingly so that with a dummy recipe I get a mash temp of 66C and then use that figure (ie: 0.70) as my figure to calculate my strike temperature for future brews..?

Or does it not work like that?
That might work just fine if your process is the same all the time. Try it and see if it works.

--GF
BeerSmith 3 Support / Couldn't register clipboard format on Beersmith 3
« Last post by paramendi on May 05, 2022, 08:18:49 AM »
Hello, I have this messenge when I startup Beersmitsh last version.
I can?t use the software.
Please, can you tell me how i fix this problem?
Brewing Discussion / Re: A few new Meanbrews Analysis videos are up
« Last post by Sandyfeet on May 05, 2022, 05:08:48 AM »
Watching the Meanbrews internet videos were very helpful when I first started designing some of my own recipes. It was always nice to know that I was somewhere in the ballpark. It is nice that a bunch were posted in one place. Thanks.

« Last post by nicklawmusic on May 04, 2022, 11:45:23 PM »
Some complicated equations going on there.

Given that I know that if I heat my strike water to 83C with 22KG grains and preheat my mash tun to 45C and hit (on average) 66C, could I work backwards and alter the Mash Tun Specific Heat number accordingly so that with a dummy recipe I get a mash temp of 66C and then use that figure (ie: 0.70) as my figure to calculate my strike temperature for future brews..?

Or does it not work like that?
« Last post by GigaFemto on May 04, 2022, 10:54:40 PM »
Conservation of energy. There is heat energy in the grain, water and equipment. The energy in a material is the mass times the specific heat times the temperature. The starting energy is:

Qi = Mg*Cg*Tg+Mw*Cw*Tw+Me*Ce*Te

Mg= grain mass, Mw = water mass, Me = equipment mass, same notation for starting temperature and specific heat

The temperatures are all different at the start, but are all the same at the end (Tf), and the total energy is the same:

Qf = Qi = Tf*(Mg*Cg+Mw*Cw+Me*Ce)

Now you can solve for the initial water temperature, Tw, in terms of the final temperature Tf.

Tw = Tf + (Tf-Tg)*(Cg*Mg)/(Cw*Mw)+ (Tf-Te)*(Ce*Me)/(Cw*Mw)

This assumes that no heat is lost to the air, or to pumps or tubing or any other components.

--GF
Suggestions / Allow infusion temps to be edited in mash profile
« Last post by bugac on May 04, 2022, 02:20:22 PM »
I brew turbid mash lambics from time to time and had to create my own multi-step infusion mash to track my turbid mash. The problem, however, is that the required infusion temps are much different than what is calculated in beersmith, and when the volume of your mash increases towards the later stages of infusion, the temerature predictions are off. I've done 3 turbid mash lambics so far, and i keep a written record of my brew session from each brew so i can try to dial in my infusion temps.

It would also be helpful to have a turbid step when creating a turbid mash profile.

Thanks!
BeerSmith 3 Support / Re: Cloud recipe deletion
« Last post by alnino1@comcast.net on May 04, 2022, 10:53:05 AM »
We had the same exact issue happen. Is there any resolution to this issue?
« Last post by nicklawmusic on May 03, 2022, 01:02:56 PM »
If I change the 'Mash Tun Specific Heat' in my profile to 0.70 Cal/gram-deg C, it seems to bring the strike temperature more in line with what I'm actually achieving based on my spreadsheet.

However, it seems quite high for Beersmith's guidelines.

What exactly is this calculation based on?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]