Author Topic: Natural Disasters  (Read 5594 times)

Offline UselessBrewing

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
Natural Disasters
« on: September 17, 2008, 09:33:48 AM »
I live where the monsters are, Houston Texas. If anyone has been through a Hurricane, you can relate to the issues that arise. No power, No water, No internet. I am one of the lucky ones, I had the forethought of purchasing a generator and a Window AC unit four years ago to keep the bedroom cool at night.There are a lot of people that don't have the cash for that kind of investment, let alone the cost of the gas. I sustained minimal damage to my property (fence blew down), and my power/water came on two days after it went out. My heart and prayers goes out to those who lost everything.
As for me and mine we are fine, and I hope you are to.
As a celebration to this fact I am brewing an IPA called Hurricane Havoc, I have not nailed down the recipe yet but once I do, I will post it up here.
Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!

Offline BeerSmith

• Brewer, Author, Patriot
  • BeerSmith Administrator
  • BeerSmith - take the guesswork out of brewing!
    • BeerSmith
Re: Natural Disasters
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 07:29:46 PM »
Preston,
  I'm glad you are doing OK.  It is a tragedy, and I hope the area can quickly recover.

Brad
Get a free trial of BeerSmith 3 here

Offline UselessBrewing

• Useless Brewing
    • Useless Brewing
Re: Natural Disasters
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:45:05 PM »
Well I did not have enough Hops for the IPA but I have enough for an APA. This will be brewed one week to the day (Friday 9/19/08) after the Hurricane. I have a 2L PackMan Starter waiting, and will begin imediatly after work. So I give you "Hurricane Havoc". First time for this recipe, I will let you know how it turns out.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hurricane Havoc
Brewer: Preston Brown
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.55 gal     
Boil Size: 6.98 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 6.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.5 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU     
8 lbs 12.0 oz Malt 2-Row (1.8 SRM)     Grain        86.40 %       
8.0 oz        Carapils (1.5 SRM)               Grain        4.94 %       
7.0 oz        Caramel Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)    Grain        4.34 %       
7.0 oz        Caramel Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)    Grain        4.32 %       
1.00 oz       Pearle (Whole) [8.30 %]  (90 min) (First Wort Hops)         26.3 IBU     
1.00 oz       Liberty (Whole) [4.00 %]  (Dry Hop 3 days)Hops          -           
0.50 oz       Centennial (Whole) [7.70 %]  (Dry Hop 3 days)Hops          -           
0.50 oz       Centennial (Whole) [7.70 %]  (15 min)     Hops         5.7 IBU       
1.00 oz       Liberty (Whole) [4.30 %]  (5 min)         Hops         2.5 IBU       
1.00 tsp      Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min)               Misc                       

Mash Schedule: (PB) Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 10.13 lb
----------------------------
(PB) Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
60 min        Mash In            Add 10.13 qt of water at 73.4 C     65.6 C       
10 min        Mash Out           Add 6.08 qt of water at 95.3 C      75.6 C       

Cheers
Preston
The woodpecker pecks, Not to annoy, But to survive!