Author Topic: kolsch question  (Read 5366 times)

mcgsmanor

kolsch question
« on: February 08, 2008, 01:11:59 PM »
I have asked about, and want to get as much advice as possible.  I was going to brew a kolsch today, but was advised to make a starter first.  I thought that I could brew it and ferment as normal (which is what the bottle of white labs yeast says), and then cool it down in the secondary.  I really want to have this turn out, so if I need to make a starter, that's what I'll do, but is that absolutely neccessary?  Thanks!

LIBNICK

Re: kolsch question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:16:54 AM »
We just did a Kolsch that is just coming out of the primary today and we made a quart starter abt 5:00am on brew day when we brewed about 2:00pm.  The fermentation took off within 4 hours and went like gangbusters for 3 days before slowing.  I would recommend the starter just to get things going.

mcgsmanor

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »
I made a starter so I put off the kolsch, but with ten minutes left in the boil I knocked the starter off my counter and it shattered all over the place.  I quickly hydrated some regular munton's yeast and pitched it, but I am thinking the kolsch is now just beer.  It is in the secondary now, and should be bottled in about a week or two.  Ah well, such is life.

Offline Rep

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 10:31:24 AM »
I made a starter so I put off the kolsch, but with ten minutes left in the boil I knocked the starter off my counter and it shattered all over the place.  I quickly hydrated some regular munton's yeast and pitched it, but I am thinking the kolsch is now just beer.  It is in the secondary now, and should be bottled in about a week or two.  Ah well, such is life.

And I bet it will be good beer.  Are you going to cold crash it?

I did so to clear my Kolsch.  I took it down into the 30's for a couple of days.  It cleared very nicely.

mcgsmanor

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 01:03:29 PM »
Right now it is in my basement at about 62, but I plan to put it on the floor (50ish) and then maybe even move it to the porch for a night (I live in MN, so I am planning by the forecast).