• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Beer Chiller Des

wcordova

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I want to know about the calculations to design chiller for brew process , these kind of chillers have the condensator unit (compressor, condensator and evaporator ) , commonly the evaporator is a cupper pipe which is submerged in a insolated stainless pool with a blend of water + Glycol (commonly 50%). Chiller also has a 1/2 HP pump that drives the glycol and water from the pool to the fermenter jacket (which solenoid is activated) in order to cool the beer.
So I followed this post: https://bvthermal.com/how-to-size-a-brewery-chiller/ to calculate the power ,with that information I made an excel sheet where I entered the value of the total volume of wort that I need to cool in 18 hours (which is the normal time ) from 75F to 34F and the excel calculates the condensator unit power (in BTU/hr) that I need using the formule of heat ( C = Q /(m × ΔT)) . That method looks great and excel works perfect.
Nonetheless ,I want to calculate the volume of the chiller's pool, (as I mentioned is an insulated stainless box). Is there any information to get some formula to that purpose?
In other words what I want to model has these variables (input and output)
inputs:
-Volume of Beer to be cooled (in lb or Liters),
-Final Temperature
-Initial Temperature
-Pull down (crash) Time

Outputs
-Power of Unit compressor (BTU/hr) . Current I have this value.
-Volume of Chiller Pool .(m3 or liters)
-Large of the Evaporator Pipe.

attached the excel that I did and some photos of the chiller that I am talking about

Attachments

• evaporator.jpg
    evaporator.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 0
Back