• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Questions About Home Inspections

lukafred

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of buying a new home, and I've scheduled a home inspection for next week. This is my first time going through this process, and I want to make sure I'm prepared. I've been doing some research, but I still have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with:

1. What are some of the most important areas/items that should be thoroughly inspected during a home inspection?
  2. Are there any red flags I should watch out for during the inspection that might indicate larger issues with the property?
  3. How long does a typical home inspection take, and should I plan to be present for the entire inspection?
  4. Is it common to uncover issues during the inspection that might affect the sale price or require repairs before closing?
  5. Are there any specific questions I should ask the inspector before the inspection begins to ensure I have a clear understanding of the process and what to expect?

Hey everyone,

I'm in the process of buying a new home, and I've scheduled a home inspection for next week. This is my first time going through this process, and I want to make sure I'm prepared. I've been doing some research, but I still have a few questions I was hoping you all could help me with:

1. What are some of the most important areas/items that should be thoroughly inspected during a home inspection?
  2. Are there any red flags I should watch out for during the inspection that might indicate larger issues with the property?
  3. How long does a typical home inspection take, and should I plan to be present for the entire inspection?
  4. Is it common to uncover issues during the inspection that might affect the sale price or require repairs before closing?
  5. Are there any specific questions I should ask the inspector before the Total Home Inspections begins to ensure I have a clear understanding of the process and what to expect?
Any advice or insights you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Hey everyone,

5. Are there any specific questions I should ask the inspector before the inspection begins to ensure I have a clear understanding of the process and what to expect?
1. Foundation, roof, water, electrical, heating /cooling systems are the big areas. Your realtor should have already screened a lot of the big stuff for you but there are a lot of inexperienced folks getting in that game who have never work/built /or even owned homes. If using one make sure they are experienced.
2. If the property is on a septic system ask for a receipt for the last time it was pumped or have it pumped/inspected before closing. It's amazing how many people do not even thing about the system. Most places just ask for a dye test which only looks for leakage above surface of the system. However this does not check that the toilets flush. (city septic, non-issue)

Are their gutters? Have they been cleaned? If there are no gutters is there proper slopes and drainage away from the foundation? Is there a sump pump? How often does it run? Where does it run to? Is there a french drain in the basement? Is it wet/dry? Is the basement well ventilated, heated, dry any signs of mold? While your there, in the basement, take a look at the support post for the carrying beam(s) that support the first floor and staircase if applicable. Are they house jacks or concrete encased steel post? If house jacks are they rusted?
City water or well? If well, is it artesian(sp), or dug well? Does it run dry in the summer after too much laundry? If on well make sure you taste it (sulfur water, etc..)
Fire place, wood stove? When last cleaned or inspected?
Any signs of roof damage, shingles missing, what is age of the roof?
Are outside decks and walks made of pressure treated lumber or painted non-treated lumber?
Power panel age? Breakers or fuses? Does it look monkeyed with? Are there hidden sub-panels anywhere?
Attic access, can you get into the attic? Is it free of stored items are the vented bathrooms properly vented away from the house/thru the attic? Does the attic have a gable vent or ridge venting? Signs of squirrel damage, wasp nest etc...

4. The home inspection may uncover a few items but it usually just gives you an idea of areas that you may want to fix after purchase.

3./5. You get what you pay for. Does the inspector have a flash light, note pad/pen, knee pads, ladder, camera? Is it a quick walk thru or will he provide a report? Does he want you there so he can give you verbal report out as the inspection goes? If so, you bring note pad and pen.

Good Luck

Thanks for the amazing information, if your readers are looking for webcomics then newtoki is the best platform who provides the latest comics site addresses for free

Back