• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash Efficiency

A

Andrew Clark

Original Message Posted 28 August 2003
------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you tell me why the mash efficiency in beer smith is different from promash, ie In promash I have a mash efficiency of 78% for a given recipe but in beersmith for the same recipe it is only 60%.

I have checked the grain extract potential figures and they are the same.

What is wrong???

Originally posted 28 Aug to our old message board...
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

There are several possibilities.

1. You may have the recipe type set to "Extract" rather than "Partial mash" or "All Grain" -- if this is the case your efficiency field will be greyed out on the recipe entry.

2. You may not have set the efficiency (you can do this from the recipe editing page - the field is named "Brewhouse Efficiency")

3. Finally, you can set your default brewing efficiency using the "Brewing" tab on the "Options" command under the "Tools" menu. This value is used as the default for new recipes.

Hopefully one of these solutions will fix the problem! Email me if you need more help!

Thanks!
Brad
www.beersmith.com

Another follow up...

If you are having this problem...

I exchanged a few emails with Mr Clark, and it appears the main problem was having the "Brewhouse efficiency" set too high.

There was also some errors in the amount of grain entered (the amounts in both recipes did not match), which he was easily able to correct.

Problem was resolved and he reports the recipes now match.   :)

Sincerely,
Brad
www.beersmith.com

Back