• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Understanding Mash profiles in beer smith

Zrab11

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Alright I have searched this on the web and have come across some info but nothing that address my exact situation. I was hoping someone could help answer my question.

Ok So i have a 15 gallon igloo cooler mash tun. I am batch sparging.  So what I have done my past 3 All grain batches is I mash in X amount of gallons of water to my mash tun. Then let the grains and water sit in the mash tun for 60min. Then I vorlauf and then tansfer x amount of wort to brew pot then I add x amount of water to mash tun and let the grains and water sit for 15 min. Then transfer the wort into the brew pot until I reach my pre build volume. 

I am not sure if I need to batch sparge one more time or not? Should I batch sparge 2 times after my first time draining the mash tun or just batch sparge 1 time?

Now with the beer smith program.

How to I add a mash profile for this method or is there already one pre set and I am just overlooking it. Anyone that can be of help would be much appreciated. Thanks so much.

If I didn't provide enough info let me know and I will try to provide more.

Thanks

The "No Sparge" mash profile will give the total sparge water in one addition, albeit a fly sparge, but you can ignore that if you're a batch sparger (is that even a word?)

It's debatable whether or not one or two batches is best - efficiency comes into play, but I've been getting good efficiency with one addition so that's what I do now. Here's how to build a custom profile:

Open a profile that is close to what you want, change the name and save it. Now; within that profile about 3/4 the way down, to the right of where it says "Batch Sparge using batches that fill" put 100 in that box, then right below that check the box for "Drain mash tun before sparging". Save.

Now, if you have a sparge temperature that works for you, you can put it up near the top on the left where it says "Sparge temperature" and it'll show up when you select that mash profile.

Play around with it, save a few different profiles, and see what works best for you.

philm63 said:
Play around with it, save a few different profiles, and see what works best for you.

So there is no set mash profile that will work for my setup? I would just like to plug in the recipe and beer smith tell me how much water and what temp to mash at. Then how much sparge water  to add the second time and how long to let it sit? Is that not possible?

Your question really is about sparging and the BeerSmith timer/instructions, not mashing or about your equipment.

Sparge timing isn't a feature of BeerSmith, yet. I agree that it would be useful and a feature request in Suggestions would be worthwhile.

However, BeerSmith does take your mashtun and boil volume sizes into account when making sparge calculations. The answer to "how many batches" will be in the mash tab and on the brew sheet.

Back