• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Metric to English weight unit conversion

mayzerbrau

Apprentice
Reaction score
I just recently decided to switch to English(US) units from metric because most of the recipes I find are in English units.  My recipes were originally converted to metric by entering the weight (in lbs) into the field and letting the program convert to kg.  (ie the program was set to metric and I entered 12lbs in the field and Beersmith converted it to 5.44kg).  When I switched units in options I also selected the checkbox to "show English weight in lbs/oz".  Now all my recipes show the grain weight as 11lbs 16.0oz instead of 12lbs.  I have changed options back of forth, closed and reopened and It has remained 11lbs 16.0oz.  Even if I edit that ingredient and re-enter it it as 12lbs it still shows 11lbs 16.0oz. See attached image.  Now if I edit that ingredient and change the weight to something different and then change it back to 12lbs that seems to fix it.  But I don't really want to do that for all my recipes.

To see if it was just a rounding error I unchecked the lbs/oz option and set the precision to 3 decimals for the weight units.  It displayed as 12.000lbs

Also I discovered the weight precision has no affect when lbs/oz option is selected.  It would be nice to make it affect the oz portion when lbs/oz is selected (ie 7lbs 4oz instead of 7lbs 4.0oz)  but now I'm just being picky.

Attachments

• 1-29-2014 9-35-34 AM.jpg
    1-29-2014 9-35-34 AM.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 413
Thanks,
  I've seen this occasionally happen - not sure exactly why but I will make a note to correct it for the next version.

Brad

Back