• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Homegrown Hops

marshall13

Apprentice
Reaction score
After 2 batches [1 kit and 1 SMaSH], both ecellent. I have decided to go all out and start all grain brewing. I am building my Mash Tun this weekend. I am very excited about going all grain and jumping in with both feet. I also want to grow my own hops.

Does anyone have any information about growing hops in SE Texas and how well they would grow in this climate? I am thinking about trying to grow my own Cascade and Centennial varieties.

Cheers!
Rob

hey rob, welcome to the obsession. I planted hops last year and got about two brews worth the first year. what I found is that there are some varieties that do better in different areas of the country . what I would do is research on the web what is best for your area before choosing what you plant. I planted nugget hops myself because they were the best for my area. good luck.     

I tried growing my own hops and eventually gave up.  They need as much sun as they can get, and the best I can do on my property is maybe four or five hours.  As long as you keep them watered and give them full sun they should do OK.

Keep in mind too that you probably won't get a decent crop until the third year.

There is nothing like sitting on your front porch drinking beers, boiling wort on a mid summers night with good  friends surrounded with fresh hops. I have holdings...adds good character throwing it into a batch of beer 5 minutes after being harvested.

WinnipegFats said:

There is nothing like sitting on your front porch drinking beers, boiling wort on a mid summers night with good  friends surrounded with fresh hops. I have holdings...adds good character throwing it into a batch of beer 5 minutes after being harvested.

That is an amazing picture! I assume those are your hops growing. I do have an area that gets sun most of the day so I think I will give it a try. With the weather here in Texas I could probably grow for 10 months of the year.

Cheers
Rob

Nice growing season. I get late May until early October. I been thinking that for doing another variety other than goldings...I do like Chinook and pride of ringwood. Hopefully I can get some and they grow here.

Back