• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

BeerSmith Forums user recipe collaboration idea.

Will you brew this?

• Total voters
Roadrocket said:
Scott, that sounds great. I wish I could be there, I'd buy you a beer.

Practical demonstrations are a sure way to get people interested. I know everybody at the festival will be impressed with your knowledge and enthusiasm. Good luck with it and I hope you and Brewmex41 have a great time.

Thank you for the kind words.

Domingo and I did brew this Collarboration Porter at the Vancouver Brewfest yesterday.  I think I'm the last one to brew it up.  Domingo brewed his a few months back and entered it in a competition and I think it scored very respectably!  I don't remember what his score was though.  He'll have to chime in with that.

We hit all of our numbers dead on, except we were slightly short on volume.  I was hoping for 5.5 gallons into the fermenter at 1.067.  I had 5 gallon at 1.067.  It was quite warm by the time we started boiling, so I think my boil off took more water out than usual.  Still, if we'd have been at 5.5 gallons, we would have missed gravity low, so all in all, I'm pretty happy with it.

Here's a photo of myself (in the gray shirt) and one of our club members (Ryan Murphy) using his portable ice batch immersion chiller system to cool the wort down.  We got from boiling to 70F in 15 minutes.  He has a submersible pump that hooks up to the immersion chiller.  He fills the chest full of ice and about 2 gallons of cold water (just enough to get things started).  The first gallon of ice water is pumped through the chiller and into the sparge boil pot and this gets rid of the hottest water.  Then the discharge end of the immersion chiller gets moved from the sparge pot to the cooler full of ice and water and just goes in a circle.  It's very, very efficient.  There was still ice floating in the cooler when we finished.

Domingo had to leave before I thought to take a photo.  We hand crushed the grains on his barley crusher (we forgot a drill).  He was a beast turning that handle.  Oh, to be young again!  We had a nice crowd around during the mash and boil.  Fort Vancouver TV interviewed myself and our club president (Tyler Ward) later in the evening.  It was a great day!

Today the club is doing an extract brewing demo (Ryan and Tyler) of a Pale Ale at the Brewfest.  We set up a corn hole game behind our tent and that thing was busy all day long! 

Our club also reached an agreement in principle to brew up a batch on one of the local Brew Pubs systems for next years event.  So, next year our club will have a beer on tap at our tent and also on tap at that local Brew Pub.  I'll wait until we finalize the details about who we're brewing with, so that they can do any advertising and promotion on our collaboration.  It will probably be called some type of collaboration name for the beer, since we'll be collaborating with them on this.  They've won some awards for their beers already (a newer brewery), so we're excited to have our club brew on a professional system at an award winning brewery!  I think they're giving us complete control over the recipe design too, so that's makes it even more exciting.  We've been doing the research, so that we're obeying all of the state laws on this for next year. 

All in all, we've had a great weekend so far and will probably have about a dozen new club members at next months meeting.  We picked up about 20 new members after last years Brewfest.

Attachments

• Vancouver Brewfest 2014.jpg
    Vancouver Brewfest 2014.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 691
man wish I was there. when I brewed this beer up it ended up being one of the best beers I've made. since then I've made more porters but not as good as this one. thanks for your post and on keeping us all informed. oh by the way I always pictured you as a skinny guy, should of known better. 

all grain said:
man wish I was there. when I brewed this beer up it ended up being one of the best beers I've made. since then I've made more porters but not as good as this one. thanks for your post and on keeping us all informed. oh by the way I always pictured you as a skinny guy, should of known better.

Wow!  Did you just call me fat?  :eek:

;D

I used to be skinny, played basketball, lifted weights, could still reach a basketball rim when I was 37 years old.  The problem was, that I got a job traveling, eating out at restaurants/brew pubs all the time.  I tried to keep in shape at first, by doing the treadmills and bikes in the hotel fitness centers, but I slowly let up and it just ballooned (literally). 

I am down 20 pounds though and working to get down further.

Now, I'm wondering, did you enter your porter in a competition or anything?  For that matter, did anyone enter it in a competition?

I have not took part in any competitions with any beer (s) yet but just the other day I was told that I should by someone I had just met. With just brewing 50 batches in 1.5 years and a lot of them experimental I still get pleasantly surprised when my beer turns out, better then expected. Then there's the possibility that the judges may give me 1st place and most would say that my head can not get any bigger then it already is. ha ha ha. In all seriousness I feel that I still have some bugs to work out in my recipes and mashing, till then I'm just lurking here and learning as much as I can. 

I got a 33/50 on it. I just drank the last one and while its a good beer, I'm more of a sweeter porter kinda guy. This one is pretty roasty and feels pretty dry as you drink it.
I've done cream porters and even a peanut butter porter.
Good beer however but lately I've been on a quadruple Ipa kick with a pound of hops per 5.5gallon batch lol

all grain said:
I have not took part in any competitions with any beer (s) yet but just the other day I was told that I should by someone I had just met. With just brewing 50 batches in 1.5 years and a lot of them experimental I still get pleasantly surprised when my beer turns out, better then expected. Then there's the possibility that the judges may give me 1st place and most would say that my head can not get any bigger then it already is. ha ha ha. In all seriousness I feel that I still have some bugs to work out in my recipes and mashing, till then I'm just lurking here and learning as much as I can.

Actually, the feedback from the judges might point you in a direction that you would have never considered on your own.  I've learned a little bit from just about every entry.  Some more than others.  It's a good process to go through in my opinion.

As far as friends, many times, they won't want to hurt your feelings, so you can't always count on an unbiased opinion.  I tend to seek out those brewers and friends that are brutally honest with me.

Brewmex41 said:
I got a 33/50 on it. I just drank the last one and while its a good beer, I'm more of a sweeter porter kinda guy. This one is pretty roasty and feels pretty dry as you drink it.
I've done cream porters and even a peanut butter porter.
Good beer however but lately I've been on a quadruple Ipa kick with a pound of hops per 5.5gallon batch lol

What was your final gravity on it Domingo? 

I just racked mine to the secondary tonight.  It was on the primary from August 9 to September 2 (24 days).  When I racked it the gravity was at 1.020.  Beersmith predicted 1.021, so it's right there!  I tasted it and it's sweeter and not that roasty (maybe just a touch, which I like).  It was more malty and chocolatey with a really good mouthfeel.  I'll probably be kegging it at the end of the month.

I'm pretty pleased with the way it tastes so far.  Since I was traveling out of the state and country for the last 3 weeks my wife took care of it and babysat the fermentation temperatures for me!  I had it in my utility sink with cold water covering it up to the 4 gallon mark beer level, and I had a damp towel around it with a fan blowing on it.  My wife kept three frozen 2 liter bottles in the water for about the first 4 days, until the airlock slowed down to about a bubble every minute or so.  She then stopped adding the ice.  The fermentation temperature for the first 4 days stayed pretty steady between 68-69 F.  The temperature rose to about 73F for the next 7 days.  It's been holding at about 70F since then.

She did a wonderful job, since the ambient temperatures were in the upper 80's and low 90's through a lot of the fermentation!

I don't have a clue.  It's still in the fermenter.  I haven't had a chance to keg it yet.  I'm still waiting on the temperature controller for my keezer.  I do have a spare keg to put it in though.  I just haven't had time.  I've been traveling for 8 weeks and I have 2 more weeks of travel to go.

It's in the keg, carbonated and cold.  It tastes wonderful.  It has a nice chocolatey flavor, great mouthfeel, with a touch of toffee and vanilla also.  I'm very pleased with it!!

If you are free Saturday nov 1st I'm having a small event at my place for learn to homebrew day. Maybe you could bottle one up and bring it! My son's soccer practice is over at 11 so i was thinkin about starting at noon.

Alright, Can do Scott! I got a coworker interested in starting brewing his own beer.

Back