Poll

Will you brew this?

Yes, I'm going to brew this recipe exactly as it was designed by the group.
Yes, but I'm going to make some changes to it to fit my tastes.
Yes, but not right away, as I have too many other brews planned at this time.
Maybe, but I'm undecided.
No.  The style isn't a type of beer that I like to brew.
No,  I don't like the recipe, so I won't be brewing it.

Author Topic: BeerSmith Forums user recipe collaboration idea.  (Read 127174 times)

Offline drb1215

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: BeerSmith Forums user recipe collaboration idea.
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2014, 03:10:34 PM »
I would be curious if we are about to set the record for the longest thread on the forum!

Offline Brewmex41

• Pint of View Brewing Co
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2014, 06:07:19 AM »
I am ready for the hop additions! Very excited to see how this goes!
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com

Click on the homebrewing tab to redirect!

Offline OzarkBrewer

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #137 on: March 05, 2014, 07:08:32 AM »
Not part of the collaboration but following along in the shadows and really really like this idea!  I will be brewing this along with you all.  Bought my malt/grain bill yesterday for $27 US.  Seems like a lot for a 5.5 G batch but what do I know.  this will only be my second all grain batch.

I'm off Friday and the temp. here will be very nice for brewing so I'm hoping to brew this Friday. Hope to hear the remainder of the recipe soon so hope you all "hop" to it!

Offline all grain

• variables,variables, so many variables
« Reply #138 on: March 05, 2014, 09:24:43 AM »
ha ha" hop to it". that's a funny one. heres an other one,"may the Easter bunny  bring us some hops"  all joking aside I was just wondering if there is going to be a water profile for this or not. I bring it up now because it may speed things up or at least smooth things along, for some. I my self have vary hard water and to get the mash P.H down on light colored beer I have to use 50% R.O. for my mash efficiency and conversion to be good. now with this dark grain I 'm in new territory. I did a projection of my cost for this beer and it's heading north of 30$ so I myself need to have a good mash if I don't want to  run out of good beer. My mash efficiency used to be 55% before I changed my mash water, now i'm around 70% but I was using pills and 2row in most beers so any advice on good mashing and water would be welcome for this porter. thanks. 
brewing is an art form not just a science ,dude where's my beer!

Offline Scott Ickes

• Brewing creatively and sharing the results!
« Reply #139 on: March 05, 2014, 10:29:04 AM »
ha ha" hop to it". that's a funny one. heres an other one,"may the Easter bunny  bring us some hops"  all joking aside I was just wondering if there is going to be a water profile for this or not. I bring it up now because it may speed things up or at least smooth things along, for some. I my self have vary hard water and to get the mash P.H down on light colored beer I have to use 50% R.O. for my mash efficiency and conversion to be good. now with this dark grain I 'm in new territory. I did a projection of my cost for this beer and it's heading north of 30$ so I myself need to have a good mash if I don't want to  run out of good beer. My mash efficiency used to be 55% before I changed my mash water, now i'm around 70% but I was using pills and 2row in most beers so any advice on good mashing and water would be welcome for this porter. thanks.

A "London" water profile would be "too style".
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
 Dubel (Aged in Malbec Wine Barrel
Aging:
 80 Shilling (In bourbon barrel)
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes
https://creativebrewing.wordpress.com

Offline cmbrougham

• I brews easily.
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2014, 10:41:19 AM »
I'm using "Il Taperino" as my water profile.

Offline Roadrocket

• I've tried jogging but I kept spilling my beer
« Reply #141 on: March 05, 2014, 03:31:07 PM »
I'm using "Il Taperino" as my water profile.

Ha ha, it took me ages to work that out, I must be getting slow.

I'll be doing the same. My tap water comes from the same source as London and it's very nearly identical. I find it good for dark beers but I do treat it for for light beers.

My grain cost will come to about £15 ($22) but I'll have enough of the three specialty grains left over to make another batch.

When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #142 on: March 05, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »
Winnepeg!  You're Turn!
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline Brewmex41

• Pint of View Brewing Co
« Reply #143 on: March 06, 2014, 03:53:34 AM »
So does the person that picks the yeast pick the fermentation temperature as well?
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com

Click on the homebrewing tab to redirect!

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #144 on: March 06, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »
So does the person that picks the yeast pick the fermentation temperature as well?

Yes
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #145 on: March 06, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »
I sent a message to Winnepeg Fats.  I hope we'll hear from him soon.

He has been active as recently as two days ago, but he hasn't replied in this thread since volunteering way back in the beginning.

We'll see what happens.  We do have one person on the waiting list, if he drops out.  I hope he doesn't though.
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline WinnipegFats

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #146 on: March 06, 2014, 12:11:32 PM »
sorry been busy......i'll sort through the thread to find the recipe....give ma a bit
Drinking: Spiced Pumpkin Amber Ale, Smoked Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale...3 bottles left each
Conditioning: None
Secondary: cheap kit Oktoberfest with my own garden hops
 American Auburn Honey Ale, Chocolate Raspberry Milk Porter
Primary: graham cracker ale
Next. Crystal 20L smash

Offline cmbrougham

• I brews easily.
« Reply #147 on: March 06, 2014, 12:17:21 PM »

Offline WinnipegFats

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #148 on: March 06, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »
it just so happens i made a crazy porter recently. Chocolate raspberry oatmeal milk porter. will have to wait to make it again because i used homegrown raspberries. but anyway i lkiked my hop profile so i will start with 10 g of magnum.....we could go with an ounce if you would like. it gave a good base flavour for mine so we'll go with 1 oz magnum
Drinking: Spiced Pumpkin Amber Ale, Smoked Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale...3 bottles left each
Conditioning: None
Secondary: cheap kit Oktoberfest with my own garden hops
 American Auburn Honey Ale, Chocolate Raspberry Milk Porter
Primary: graham cracker ale
Next. Crystal 20L smash

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #149 on: March 06, 2014, 12:29:21 PM »
it just so happens i made a crazy porter recently. Chocolate raspberry oatmeal milk porter. will have to wait to make it again because i used homegrown raspberries. but anyway i lkiked my hop profile so i will start with 10 g of magnum.....we could go with an ounce if you would like. it gave a good base flavour for mine so we'll go with 1 oz magnum

Here is where we're at:

DRB1215                           Style of recipe to be designed.                            Chose Robust Porter
Road Rocket                      Base Grain and quantity.                                    Chose 10 lbs. of Maris Otter Malt
All Grain                            Specialty grain and quantity.                               Chose 1 lb. of Pale Chocolate Malt
Scott Ickes                       Second specialty grain and quantity.                    Chose 1.5 lbs. of Munich Malt
Brewmex41                      Third specialty grain and quantity.                        Chose 2 lbs. of Brown Malt
Grathan                            Mash Profile.                                                          Chose Mash Temp of 156F/69C for a full body beer
WinnepegFats                  First hop type, quantity and time added.              Chose 1 ounce of Magnum (bittering at 60 minutes)
Billy Brew                         Second hop type, quantity and time added.
Bucknut                           Third hop type, quantity and time added.
CMBrougham                   Yeast selection.

I've made the assumption that your choice is the 60 minute bittering addition.

I just put the Magnum into my recipe and it put the IBU's at 48.6, assuming AA of 14%.  I think we might have to cut that back a little bit to make room for the other hops.  If I go with the 13.7% Magnum that is currently at my lhbs, it's still at 47.6 IBU's.

.75 ounces might be a little better, giving some room for other hop additions.  This would drop the IBU's down to the middle of the style range at 35.7 IBU's and give room for other hop additions.

As far as selecting Magnum, it's a german variety that would probably have been available in England.  I'm ok with it, although, a UK hop might be more appropriate to the style and to where the recipe was heading.  I'm not saying that we need to stay with UK hops, as I use Centennial hops in my UK style robust porters, so I don't follow the style guidelines all that close sometimes when it comes to ingredients.  I brew what I like and I like Magnum and Centennial.  I tend to use Centennial hops in my porters and Magnum and/or Centennial in my huge Russian Imperial Stouts.

One thing I've noticed about Magnum is that I think it tends to blend well with chocolate flavors.  With the chocolate malt we have in our grain bill, it may be a great hop choice to blend well with the chocolate flavors that we'll have.

I guess what I'm saying is, although I wouldn't have selected it myself, I like Magnum hops!  In this recipe, I'm definitely ok with Magnum.  We'll see what others think about it.

Time for your thoughts, comments and suggestions on this hop selection.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:47:20 PM by Scott Ickes »
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes