Poll

Will you brew this?

Yes, I'm going to brew this recipe exactly as it was designed by the group.
Yes, but I'm going to make some changes to it to fit my tastes.
Yes, but not right away, as I have too many other brews planned at this time.
Maybe, but I'm undecided.
No.  The style isn't a type of beer that I like to brew.
No,  I don't like the recipe, so I won't be brewing it.

Author Topic: BeerSmith Forums user recipe collaboration idea.  (Read 127066 times)

Offline WinnipegFats

• BeerSmith Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
Re: BeerSmith Forums user recipe collaboration idea.
« Reply #150 on: March 06, 2014, 12:43:24 PM »
oops one ounce is a bit much....sorry my mental conversions are off it should be half an ounce...been shoveling snow and drinking beer all day. and i do agree with the choise of magnum because of the chocolate. as i said it blended well with the chocolate porter i just made
Drinking: Spiced Pumpkin Amber Ale, Smoked Chocolate Cascadian Dark Ale...3 bottles left each
Conditioning: None
Secondary: cheap kit Oktoberfest with my own garden hops
 American Auburn Honey Ale, Chocolate Raspberry Milk Porter
Primary: graham cracker ale
Next. Crystal 20L smash

Offline cmbrougham

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • I brews easily.
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »
Rats--and I just used up all my on-hand Magnum in an AIPA, cleverly titled "Magnum, PA." <rimshot>

I guess I'm OK with it, especially if it gets knocked down to 0.5 oz. Probably would have been way down the list if it were up to me, but I can get on board with it. I'm probably going to go a different route with the yeast I had in mind, depending on where we wind up with IBUs.

Offline Brewmex41

• Pint of View Brewing Co
« Reply #152 on: March 06, 2014, 01:43:49 PM »
Are we going with the imported German Magnum or Domestic US magnum?
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com

Click on the homebrewing tab to redirect!

Offline drb1215

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #153 on: March 06, 2014, 01:55:24 PM »
I recently used Northern Brewer as my bittering hops in a porter, which is more of a "traditional" English hop (along with East Kent Goldings) that you would see in a porter.  I've never tried using Magnum in a porter...but I'm game to try it if that is what the consensus of the group is.

Offline Brewmex41

« Reply #154 on: March 06, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »
We should remember to post the %AA of the hops you're using. I ordered a half pound of Magnum from Yakima Valley Hops and they only registered as 12.2% AA whereas the Whole Leaf Magnum at Bader (my lhbs) clock in at 16.75%AA
I was a little disappointed, since thats one of the appeals for me is the high %AA, but oh well, It was only $8 for the 8 oz.
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com

Offline cmbrougham

• I brews easily.
« Reply #155 on: March 06, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
Or we can just go by IBUs and adjust amounts in our own implementations...

Offline Scott Ickes

• Brewing creatively and sharing the results!
« Reply #156 on: March 06, 2014, 03:52:10 PM »
Let's keep this as "per ounce of hops" in the recipe, with the AA% of the hop stated.  That way, when all is said and done, each person can adjust each of there hop addition amounts to hit identical IBU's.

I have this now at .5 ounces of Magnum hops at 13.7 IBU's for the official recipe.  Once you get your hops to make it, you'll have to adjust the quantity to hit the 23.8 IBU's that this calculates out to.

Here is where we're at:

DRB1215                           Style of recipe to be designed.                            Chose Robust Porter
Road Rocket                      Base Grain and quantity.                                    Chose 10 lbs. of Maris Otter Malt
All Grain                            Specialty grain and quantity.                               Chose 1 lb. of Pale Chocolate Malt
Scott Ickes                       Second specialty grain and quantity.                    Chose 1.5 lbs. of Munich Malt
Brewmex41                      Third specialty grain and quantity.                        Chose 2 lbs. of Brown Malt
Grathan                            Mash Profile.                                                          Chose Mash Temp of 156F/69C for a full body beer
WinnepegFats                  First hop type, quantity and time added.              Chose .5 ounce of Magnum (60 minutes)(13.7 AA,23.8 IBU)
Billy Brew                         Second hop type, quantity and time added.
Bucknut                           Third hop type, quantity and time added.
CMBrougham                   Yeast selection.

Billy Brew...You're up!  What is your hop addition please?

By the way, the style range is 25 to 50 IBU's.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 03:56:49 PM by Scott Ickes »
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
 Dubel (Aged in Malbec Wine Barrel
Aging:
 80 Shilling (In bourbon barrel)
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes
https://creativebrewing.wordpress.com

Offline bucknut

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #157 on: March 06, 2014, 04:23:06 PM »
I"m very much a newbie here and I must admit I've never made a porter, and I was thinking that we were going toward a traditional English style porter so I was gearing up for my contribution along those lines. Had maybe Target/Challenger hops for the bittering addition, so going to have to rethink my hop addition.

That said I like using magnum hops and I'm familiar with them, and I WAS thinking EKG for my contribution so maybe that's still a possibility.

Offline Roadrocket

• I've tried jogging but I kept spilling my beer
« Reply #158 on: March 07, 2014, 03:41:59 PM »
+1 on bucknut

I've never used Magnum but I understand they give a very clean bitterness. They should let the flavour of the next two hop additions come through. EKG or Challenger will be very good. Willamette will also be excellent. I don't think citrusy hops will work in a porter but I might be wrong.  We'll get plenty of aroma from the malt but a bit of fruit and spice will be good.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 03:59:54 PM by Roadrocket »
When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

Offline all grain

• variables,variables, so many variables
« Reply #159 on: March 07, 2014, 04:09:31 PM »
just to let everyone know, of all my weaknesses picking the right hops for a beer is on the top of the list so I'm going to sit back and learn a little during the hop selections and what ever is picked it'll be alright with me.
brewing is an art form not just a science ,dude where's my beer!

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #160 on: March 07, 2014, 04:20:48 PM »
I just sent a message to Billy Brew, letting him know that he's up.
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline BILLY BREW

• GOOD BEER GOOD FRIENDS GOOD TIMES
« Reply #161 on: March 08, 2014, 05:42:58 AM »
Mornin you mad scientist drunks!

2nd hops 1/2oz Willemette @5.5-6A
15 minute.

Looking forward to this...Just got room enough for a couple more cases in my brew dungeon.

Used it in my last porter and it came out OUTSTANDING!

I might take liberties and make 2 batches, and add some "Jim Beam Honey" to it.

Retired Home brewing biker Who wouldn't love me?

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #162 on: March 08, 2014, 02:06:44 PM »
I like the Willamete selection.  I don't love it.  I probably would have thought a Fuggles or EK Goldings would be more appropriate, but it is similar enough to those that I don't have a problem with it.

It only upped the IBU's 4.7 to 5.2.  Not much of a jump.  It's the same hop that Sierra Nevada uses in their porter.  I think we could double the amount though.  I think an ounce would add more IBU's and allow the Willamette flavor to have more of a chance at coming through.  At 15 minutes, we might lose a little bit of the flavor, but it's late enough to allow some of the mild, grassy, floral, spiciness of Willamete to come through.  Willamette is a hop used in British Ales, so it does fit the style.  It's similar to Fuggles or EK Goldings, which are definitely UK hops.

I was expecting the second and third hop selections to add more IBU's.  If they don't, that is ok, we always increase the Magnum, or increase the second and third, depending on the profiles of the three hops and what we want out of them.

Here is where we're at:

DRB1215                           Style of recipe to be designed.                            Chose Robust Porter
Road Rocket                      Base Grain and quantity.                                    Chose 10 lbs. of Maris Otter Malt
All Grain                            Specialty grain and quantity.                               Chose 1 lb. of Pale Chocolate Malt
Scott Ickes                       Second specialty grain and quantity.                    Chose 1.5 lbs. of Munich Malt
Brewmex41                      Third specialty grain and quantity.                        Chose 2 lbs. of Brown Malt
Grathan                            Mash Profile.                                                          Chose Mash Temp of 156F/69C for a full body beer
WinnepegFats                  First hop type, quantity and time added.              Chose .5 ounce of Magnum (60 minutes)(13.7 AA,23.8 IBU)
Billy Brew                         Second hop type, quantity and time added.          Chose .5 ounce of Willamette (15 minutes)(5.5 AA,4.7 IBU)
Bucknut                           Third hop type, quantity and time added.
CMBrougham                   Yeast selection.

Any other thoughts, comments or suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:11:23 PM by Scott Ickes »
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline bucknut

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #163 on: March 08, 2014, 05:28:39 PM »
I'm ok with the Willamette, it's not my first choice but only because I've never used it. I would suggest using at least an ounce though, we need to get that ibu # up or else it may be to sweet, for my taste anyway. I'm suggesting 1oz or more of Willamete so it gets this beer some more balance, you could use more of the Magnum but I think we need more flavor/aroma from this type of hop in the brew.

Offline Brewmex41

« Reply #164 on: March 08, 2014, 09:27:36 PM »
So at 70% efficiency and 5.5 gallon batch size I'm getting 1.068 est OG and 19.7 Ibus from the 1/2 oz magnum (13.7% AA)

I agree on upping both hop additions depending on the third hop choice.
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com