Poll

Will you brew this?

Yes, I'm going to brew this recipe exactly as it was designed by the group.
Yes, but I'm going to make some changes to it to fit my tastes.
Yes, but not right away, as I have too many other brews planned at this time.
Maybe, but I'm undecided.
No.  The style isn't a type of beer that I like to brew.
No,  I don't like the recipe, so I won't be brewing it.

Author Topic: BeerSmith Forums user recipe collaboration idea.  (Read 130840 times)

Offline cmbrougham

• BeerSmith Grandmaster Brewer
  • I brews easily.
Re: BeerSmith Forums user recipe collaboration idea.
« Reply #195 on: March 10, 2014, 07:18:29 PM »
I certainly didn't mean that as a sleight to anyone. That's just part of this experiment, that we'll get almost a dozen different perspectives on a non-existent beer. I'm just stating that these are not choices I'd make, and while, "yeah, it's just beer," I've got my limits. I do believe this will make a perfectly delicious beer--maybe astronomically good--but it just doesn't feel right to me. If I'm investing 5 gallons worth of ingredients into something, then it should feel right.

Offline Scott Ickes

• Brewing creatively and sharing the results!
« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2014, 07:19:58 PM »
I really like the hops.
Funny--what I like least is the hops. In fact, if I brew this (which is looking doubtful since I have some higher priority brews I want to make), I'll keep the grain bill but abandon the hop bill pretty much completely. The malts are something I'd probably pick if I were doing this on my own; the hops, not so much. This recipe is about 85% British--I don't see a reason not to make it 100% for my own personal consumption. I'm sure it'll make a tasty beverage as it stands, though.

I know that I would have not hopped it this way, but that wasn't the point of this exercise.  The point was to let everyone in on each others thought processes.  I brewed a similar grain bill and went with all Centennial Hops.  However, I wasn't trying for an English Porter, I was aiming for an American Porter.

If I were aiming for an English Porter and designing on my own, I probably would have went with Target (Magnum is a German hop) for the 30 minute bittering, Fuggles for the 15 minute (Willamette is a US hop) and EKG at 5 minutes.  I might have also kept the IBU's at about 35 or 40 to keep more sweetness and less bitter in the flavor profile.  But that is what I would have done.  This exercise allowed me to see recipe design from the perspective of other brewers.  Basically to get inside their heads and see what their thoughts about their choices were. 

I was actually expecting people to choose UK hops, since the grain bill is so British in it's make up.

The great thing about brewing beer and designing recipes, is that there really aren't any rules.  I had a British grain bill for a Porter and didn't go British with my hops, so who was I to step in and say, "Why aren't we staying with the British Style?".

I had my choice on a grain and I was allowed to express my opinion on the other choices.  I gave and took, so that I could learn from all of you and hopefully you might have learned something from me as well.

Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
 Dubel (Aged in Malbec Wine Barrel
Aging:
 80 Shilling (In bourbon barrel)
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes
https://creativebrewing.wordpress.com

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2014, 07:21:28 PM »
I certainly didn't mean that as a sleight to anyone. That's just part of this experiment, that we'll get almost a dozen different perspectives on a non-existent beer. I'm just stating that these are not choices I'd make, and while, "yeah, it's just beer," I've got my limits. I do believe this will make a perfectly delicious beer--maybe astronomically good--but it just doesn't feel right to me. If I'm investing 5 gallons worth of ingredients into something, then it should feel right.

If one of us wins a "Best of Show" with it 6 months from now, you'll probably brew it then.   ;D
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #198 on: March 10, 2014, 07:26:44 PM »
I've added a poll to find out how many will be brewing this, etc.  It will give us anonymous feedback as to what everyone really thinks.

Please vote.
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline cmbrougham

• I brews easily.
« Reply #199 on: March 10, 2014, 07:28:38 PM »
Absolutely. It's a very interesting experiment from the design phase, and I think that's what this was all about. I just feel that it's going to make for a less interesting beer, and that's my opinion and my opinion alone. I did enjoy the back and forth, give and take of the process, but I don't really see a reason (for me) to make it a physical thing. As I'd stated in my earlier concerns, if one isn't going to brew this the way it was designed, I don't think there's much point in brewing it all. That applies to me, as well. I can't offer meaningful and constructive discussion if I don't.

And, I'll admit freely to being tired of big, dark beers. Had enough of this winter and I'm moving on to lighter fare :)

Offline bucknut

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
« Reply #200 on: March 11, 2014, 01:50:09 AM »
I really like the hops.
Funny--what I like least is the hops. In fact, if I brew this (which is looking doubtful since I have some higher priority brews I want to make), I'll keep the grain bill but abandon the hop bill pretty much completely. The malts are something I'd probably pick if I were doing this on my own; the hops, not so much. This recipe is about 85% British--I don't see a reason not to make it 100% for my own personal consumption. I'm sure it'll make a tasty beverage as it stands, though.

I know that I would have not hopped it this way, but that wasn't the point of this exercise.  The point was to let everyone in on each others thought processes.  I brewed a similar grain bill and went with all Centennial Hops.  However, I wasn't trying for an English Porter, I was aiming for an American Porter.

If I were aiming for an English Porter and designing on my own, I probably would have went with Target (Magnum is a German hop) for the 30 minute bittering, Fuggles for the 15 minute (Willamette is a US hop) and EKG at 5 minutes.  I might have also kept the IBU's at about 35 or 40 to keep more sweetness and less bitter in the flavor profile.  But that is what I would have done.  This exercise allowed me to see recipe design from the perspective of other brewers.  Basically to get inside their heads and see what their thoughts about their choices were. 

I was actually expecting people to choose UK hops, since the grain bill is so British in it's make up.

The great thing about brewing beer and designing recipes, is that there really aren't any rules.  I had a British grain bill for a Porter and didn't go British with my hops, so who was I to step in and say, "Why aren't we staying with the British Style?".

I had my choice on a grain and I was allowed to express my opinion on the other choices.  I gave and took, so that I could learn from all of you and hopefully you might have learned something from me as well.

Thanks Scott for putting this together, I enjoyed and learned a few things like…..Baltic porters are usually made with lager yeast,  and the difference between the Kolbach number and the Lintner number when it comes to measuring a malts diastatic power.

I think I’m going to brew this, but just do a 1 gal version of the recipe and see how I like it, then maybe make any changes if needed and then brew a bigger batch.
Cheers,

Offline Brewmex41

• Pint of View Brewing Co
« Reply #201 on: March 11, 2014, 02:43:16 AM »
I've used the nottingham dry yeast.  I actually have some of it that I harvested.  It's a nice strain of yeast and I've always had good success with it.  I probably won't use it in this beer though.  I'll use the WLP023.  There are enough people using the WLP023, that I want to brew it identical to them.

Brewmex41 only lives a couple of miles from me and where going to probably brew this side by side at my house.  We'll just get one vial of the yeast and I'll make a huge starter on my stir plate so that we can split it.  We'll save $7 between us that way.

Do you have any idea when youll brew this? I have my 6g carboys planned out for the next 3-4 months. I'm doing an India red ale this weekend and hopefully a bock lager the weekend after. Then ill brew a dopplebock straight on the bock yeast cake to avoid needing a massive starter.

I can scale it down to three gallons, tho. That carboy can be freed up.
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com

Click on the homebrewing tab to redirect!

Offline Scott Ickes

« Reply #202 on: March 11, 2014, 03:00:52 AM »
I'm not sure.  I need to free up a fermenter myself.  Let's keep in touch.  What day of the week best fits your schedule?
Kegs:
 Red IPA
 ESB
 Saison Solera
Aging:
Bottled
 Peppermint Patty Stout
 Wee Heavy

Scott Ickes

Offline Brewmex41

• Pint of View Brewing Co
« Reply #203 on: March 11, 2014, 03:14:32 AM »
I work monday thru Friday 230pm-1am so it would have to be sat or Sunday for me. The next two weekends are pretty packed for me, since my wife just started a new job and has weekend ordeals to attend. Let me know your schedule and i may be able to bring another buddy. He and i just brewed Pliny the Elder. Cost him $80 for a 5.5g all grain batch of the stuff! Almost 250 theoretical ibus.
Follow my blog
www.domingoestradajr.com

Click on the homebrewing tab to redirect!

Offline Roadrocket

• I've tried jogging but I kept spilling my beer
« Reply #204 on: March 11, 2014, 02:32:08 PM »
Scott, thanks for setting this up, it's been interesting and I've learned a few things. I will brew this in a few weeks once I've freed up a fermentor and a keg.

I agree with cmbrougham in that it doesn't feel right, however, I've brewed a few beers that feel right but taste wrong so maybe this will taste great.

Once you've all brewed it let us know what it turns out like.
When the sun beats down and I lie on the bench, I can always hear them talk.
Me, I'm just a lawnmower - you can tell me by the way I walk.

Offline all grain

• variables,variables, so many variables
« Reply #205 on: March 11, 2014, 04:44:10 PM »
well all and all I would say it has been fun. thanks to scott and all for this experience. I myself well brew this later this week and then make some changes to it and use the yeast cake for round two. I'm thinking more chocolate and some vanilla. we well see.   
brewing is an art form not just a science ,dude where's my beer!

Offline grathan

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #206 on: March 11, 2014, 05:07:37 PM »
This might seem like a dumb question, but how does one add a downloaded .bsmx file to the My Recipes folder?

Offline OzarkBrewer

• BeerSmith Master Brewer
  • BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #207 on: March 11, 2014, 05:31:12 PM »
This might seem like a dumb question, but how does one add a downloaded .bsmx file to the My Recipes folder?

Not dumb...i have the same question.  I'm brewing this s.o.b. this friday night!  I've located all the ingredients except the called out yeast.  I have purchased the grains and will purchase everything else tomorrow or Thur.  Hope I can find the called for yeast, if not....Nautingham I believe was mentioned??

Offline brewfun

• Malt dust is just alcohol's glitter
« Reply #208 on: March 11, 2014, 05:36:11 PM »

Click the file to download and open in BeerSmith. Highlight the recipe, then cut/copy and paste it into the recipe folder you desire.
Beer Appreciation is the space between pints.

Offline drb1215

• BeerSmith 2 Rocks!
« Reply #209 on: March 12, 2014, 09:15:50 AM »
Thanks Scott for putting this together, and keeping it together throughout the process! (Do you do event planning on the side?)

I'll schedule this in and see if I can brew it per the group recipe in the next couple of weeks...

-Dan