• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

I think I pitched the Yeast Too High

JayfromBrooklyn

Apprentice
Reaction score
First time brewing, I do not know the temperature when I pitched the yeast, higher than recommended.

The airlock bubbled furiously overnight, but now has stopped.

Should I just dump and start over?

Or add more yeast?

It's not uncommon for an ale to fully ferment in a day or two, especially if it's at a higher than recommended temperature. Adding yeast won't help because it's probably done.

Worst thing the higher temperatures could have done is cause the yeast to produce some off-flavors. Banana notes are the most common.

If it stinks like banana and you really don't like banana, then you might to consider pitching it. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks.

Since it's my first batch, as long as it is beer I'm gonna try to drink it.

I don't mind bananas, I just don't expect them in my beer. It is a Belgian White, so will the coriander and orange lessen this issue?

Also- how long should I leave it in the primary fermenter before bottling?

Since it's my first batch, as long as it is beer I'm gonna try to drink it.

I knew you would.  ;)

It is a Belgian White, so will the coriander and orange lessen this issue?

Your guess is as good as mine.

Also- how long should I leave it in the primary fermenter before bottling?

Depends on who you ask. I personally use secondaries, but it seems conventional wisdom now says to skip that step.

Two weeks should be fine.

If are experiencing banana flavors it is not necessarily an "off" flavor if you are using a Belgian Ale yeast.  Some banana flavor is desirable in Belgian ales, and the yeast strain will provide it.  Cloves and spices are other flavors you can get from different strains of belgian yeast.

If you are concerned about which flavors should or should not be there, google the yeast that you used and see what the profile of it is.  If you are using White's or Wyeast, both have excellent info on their site.

An updated: my beer was very drinkable, though it did have some off tastes. Not bad for a first try.

JayfromBrooklyn said:
An updated: my beer was very drinkable, though it did have some off tastes. Not bad for a first try.

Congrats on your drinkable first brew.
On my first attempt, I took a long pull, sprayed it out my nose and hacked up a fur ball.

Baron Von MunchKrausen said:
JayfromBrooklyn said:
W00T! 

Baron Von MunchKrausen said:
Congrats on your drinkable first brew.
On my first attempt, I took a long pull, sprayed it out my nose and hacked up a fur ball.

My first brew was drinkable if you like licking band-aids.  But I drank most of it while reading about phenols.

Back