• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

White film on top of brew

R

REAPERNINK666

I am having a problem with a batch of beer. It has a white film on it, is the beer still good and safe to drink.  I have been brewing for a while now and this is the first time this has happened.  It has no bad odor to it at all just the white film. What is this film and what causes it.  I am very cauious about cleaning my equipment.

If i put a sampler in the carboy the white film will stick to the sampler. The batch has finished and i have done a secondary rack.
:-\

Could be a wild yeast infection the one time I used Brett i had the so called white film on my beer.

Hi,
  Personally I would not panic - it might just fall out after you age it for a bit.  I recommend proceeding as you normally would and bottle or keg it when ready.  If it goes bad, you will know as soon as you taste the first one in a few weeks.  If not, you will likely have a great brew.

My experience is that as long as you keep things clean, most of these things tend to work themselves out.

Cheers!
Brad

The good news is there are no pathogens that grow in beer. Now, are you making a belgain beer? If so, things are normal and don't woryy about it. If not, well, does it taste bad? If so, its not going to get better. If not, as Brad said, don't panic, it is not a diaster and go forward with processing your beer.

Just my 2 cents.

Dr Malt :D

I've had this on a couple of brews, they tasted alright and no ill affects after drinking them. So if it tastes alright keep it.

I have run into that from time to time and bottled, drank...then drank more...I'm still here!!!! No adverse taste to the ones I did.
1 was a Pacifico clone, a Coffee Porter and an Oatmeal Stout.
Papazian once said that you can't die from homebrew...kind of been my motto  ;D

Based on the current news, if you can die from drinking water, you can die from drinking homebrew, but it won't be from pathogens.

Fred

Back