• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Mash temp and adusting

Catch-22

Brewer
Reaction score
I'm in the middle of my second all grain.  My first is still fermenting, so I'm not entirely sure how it went at this point.

I do have a question, though. I followed the "formula" for strike water amount/temp and I was just shy of my goal temp of 155.  I after about 15 mins when I checked the temp, I decided to add about a quart of 170 degree water to get it up.  It worked.  I am right where I want to be.

My question is, does adding water after the calcluations have been made have an impact at all on conversion, flavor, etc.? 

No.  A little more water will just decrease the amount of sparge water needed.  Plus, you get a bit thinner mash and typically better conversion happens at higher ratios.  I mash at about 1.4-1.5 quarts/lb.

Have fun.

Mark

I'm just a little over two weeks into fermentation of my first all grain 10 g batch and dreaming of cooking up the next hopefully in a week or so.  Anyway I had a similar thing happen when we brewed and also added to get to a 158* strike. 

I'll try 1.4 to 1.5 on the next batch.  thx

We been using a 20L tun and that it barely fits the 1,4 qt to 1 lb ratio. I really like the idea of multi temp mashed but don't have the room. If you are daring try decoction. I don't truly decocting but I draw off some wort and boil it and add it back to the tun where as true decoction require you to draw of the grain and boilnit and add it back to the mash. I keep alot of pots on my stove at different temps to quickly adjust my tun temp.  The results have been good. We're working on a multi pot system that will circulate our wort to temp for us using pumps so we.can keep our tun temp accurate without having to add water.  Ahh the beautiful complexities of beer making.

Back