• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Testing Gravity in Primed Bottle

Pahlavan

Brewer
Reaction score
Dear All,

One of my batches had an OG of 1.054 and an FG of 1.02 this is roughly 4.5% alcohol. However the taste and effect of the finished beer seems much stronger. The beer was primed with 3.5g of cane sugar per bottle.

Can the priming increase the alcohol content after the FG is taken?
Can one test the FG after bottle conditioning to establish the true alcohol content?

Thanks,

Danny

the answer is yes and yes. adding any sugar will increase abv as long as it is eaten by yeast. the amount that is added if properly done for bottle conditioning is normally not enough to change abv or taste to the point that you would notice. When you add the priming sugar the FG will go up a little then the yeast eat it and carb your beer, after which the FG should go back to close to where it was before priming.
  As to checking FG after its carbed up in the bottle just open a bottle and drink 2/3 s of it and shake the rest up in the bottle until the beer is flat. then poor into your beaker and test the gravity . I've done this to many beers from the store and seamed to work fine.
PS I would use corn sugar for priming, it dose better then cane. cane can leave harsh flavors, or so I've been told. good luck.

Back