• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Recirculation port on kettle

K

KernelCrush

What height would you want to locate a chilling recirculation (1/2" elbow) port on a boil kettle when using an external chiller?  The one retail version I see its located at the same level as the wort out drain. 

Not being an expert on the topic but also just having installed one on my kettle; I placed it very near the top of the kettle so that the discharge opening would be an inch or so below the average wort level. I use mine to recirculate while chilling with the IC, but will be switching to a plate chiller next brew (still setting-up the hoses and connectors).

I've seen recirc fittings located near the bottom and I believe this location would be good for whirlpooling. I noticed I did get a decent whirlpool with my discharge near the top of the wort, but I have to imagine it may be better at the bottom.

If you're planning on recirculating only for chilling, I'd say put it near the top. Some put the fitting in the lid - either way should do the trick.

Thanks Phil.  I was going to mount it midway from the kettle bottom to my normal post boil volume level.  Then you read all kinds of comments on other boards.  I do normally whirlpool whole hop but my main effort is towards trying to keep cold break in the kettle for a change. 

Back