• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Add method for creating a new fermentation profile for lagers and such.

nsurround

Apprentice
Reaction score
There seems to be no way of creating a fementation profile that might include for example a diacetyl rest  for lagers etc. The only fields available are Primary, Secondary, Tertiary and Age for. In most cases Lager profiles would include primary, diacetyl rest, secondary (lagering) and Age for. For me 'Age for' mostly represents carbonation and aging either by bottle or keg and Secondary in this case would represent the lagering process. Maybe being able to add custom labels to  these fields and being able to save would be a good start.

I'm not sure whether renaming the fields makes such a difference.  Surely, you could enter the secondary fermentation at a higher temperature for a given amount of time which equates to your diacetyl rest?  Works for me  8)

I agree with nsurround. The ability to add fermentation steps would be a way to get more precise timing and record keeping of certain procedures. Right now, a single stage of fermentation might have a temperature slope that includes more than one step that would be more accurately shown as a plateau.

Mash steps can be as detailed as a brewer needs. Fermentation can be detailed, too. There are certainly things I may want to add, like finings or infusions. Right now, you can't show that detail.

Back