• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

carbonation question

OzarkBrewer

Master Brewer
Reaction score
My beers are now in the kegs and I put around 12 psi of C02 on them last night

I'm assuming this gravity reading will increase along with % of alcohol as it carbonates correct?

I was told that I could speed up the carbonation process by increasing the psi to 30 or so and then shake the keg for around 10 minutes vigorously then let it set for an hour or more until it settles and then reduce pressure to around 10 psi.  Does this sound like the right thing to do?

How long normally does it take to get fully carbonated and at it's final % of alcohol level?  I'm guessing there is not a standard and depends on the type of beer and recipe.  Am I right?

The only time you would end up with a higher ABV after kegging or bottling is if you add additional sugar, or wort, or fermentation has not completed.  Increased ABV from adding sugar for 'natural' carbonation is negligible...
Carbonating with CO2 does nothing for the ABV but will determine the level of carbonation...

Oh o.k. thanks for the insight.  so based on the pic attached what % would you say these beers are and will remain?

You're correct in your original question.  The ABV does depend on the type of beer and recipe along with the original gravity (OG) and final gravity (FG).  From just your picture showing 1.016 you can't tell what the 'actual' ABV will be.  Beersmith should give you the ABV if you entered the OG and FG.  If you no longer have the OG then this chart from How to Brew may help getting a rough estimate if you know what the recipe called for.  1.016 may be a little high though again it depends on the recipe.  Most of mine finish around 1.010 to 1.013 or 4 at the highest.  In that case you may get a little residual abv in the keg.
Hey, I'm new at this too.  Maybe someone else can give a better answer...

Attachments

• ABV chart How to Brew.jpg
    ABV chart How to Brew.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 16
Interesting!  Good info. would love to hear others input as well but this is good stuff!!  Thanks.

I run the pressure up to 30 psi, let it sit at 35 F for two days, then reduce the pressure to about 10 psi. I've read posts that said your method will carbonate adequately in just a few minutes. Colder beer will carbonate faster.

Concerning final alcohol level: Most brewers try to get to final alcohol level/final gravity/complete fermentation before they transfer to a keg. The benchmark is that once the specific gravity reads the same for three or four days, the yeast has finished converting as much of the sugar as it can. Once the sugars are converted, the yeast continue to work; they convert some of the undesirable compounds they created early in fermentation into compounds we like. Some believe transferring to a secondary container enhances clarity. I prefer to let the beer sit in the primary fermenter until it clears. I believe the important point is to hold the beer in a bucket, carboy, conical, or keg - whether in primary or secondary - at the low end of the temperature range until it reaches a stable final gravity. Some say to hold the beer near the low end of its temperature range for a few days before letting it rise to the upper end of that range. There are many ways to get to a stable final gravity, but it's very important to be sure you have reached that final point before you chill and serve.

If you haven't discovered John Palmer's "How to Brew" go to      howtobrew.com      If you're willing to spend a few buck you can get a more up-to-date print edition.

yes, SG did read the same and got to target for the recipe.  so far I've just let it set at around 35* @ 12 psi.  I may raise it and shake it tonight, maybe.  I want to drink it soon!  P.S. Palmer's book is a good one.

Been about a week now since I started carbonation on two 5 g all grain a.p.a. and i.p.a..  It's been sitting on 12 psi most of the week, I've had them out and rolled them around a few times. The other day I decided to put them up to 20 psi for most of this week.  I unplug them, take them out of the kegorator, roll them around on the floor for about 10 min. and then put them back in unplugged and upside down over night.  Do you think it matters any the way I'm doing this?  I have a friend who says he turns his C02 off when he's not pouring one.  Love to hear feed back on carbonating correctly.

P.
S.

I also sampled the I.P.A. after a week in the soda keg under 12 psi.  It's a bit under carbed, smooth and drinkable but I didn't get the full hoppy taste that I was expecting from I.P.A.  hope it get's there by this weekend.

I agree with he poster above.  ABV only increases with added ferment-able sugars.  If using Beersmith software on smart phone use the alcohol attenuation function entering the SG and FG and it will estimate ABV. 

Back