• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Floating hops

WinnipegFats

Brewer
Reaction score
So I got an American amber Ale in my secondary. It was in the primary 7 days the intended racked it to my secondary and dry hopped it. It has been 3 weeks in a good temperature controlled room.  Beer is clear and no sign of fermentation continuing but.....my hops are still floating on the top. I want to bottle this bad boy but is it still not ready...I have made alot of beer and I have never seen this.

The fact that the hop bits are floating is a sign that there's some fermentation happening.  They will eventually sink when there's no more tiny CO2 bubbles being produced to cling to the bits and make them float.

It's OK to bottle. Give it a swirl or two and most of the hops should reluctantly settle.  Even if some get into the bottles they won't harm anything.

I think you racked it a little early. Next time give it another week in the primary and I bet the dry hops will settle after two or three weeks. That's what I do anyway.

Or you can put the hops into a boiled bag with a some glass marbles to make it sink.

thanx guys.....i like the marble idea.....this beer smells great....i'll just strain it into my bottlin' pail

I wouldn't strain it. Seriously.  At this point that might contaminate the brew resulting in infection. For sure it will aerate the brew adding oxygen.  Not a good idea.

Any hop bits that get into the bottles will end up settling into the sediment.  It's doubtful that they'll make it into the glass. Even if they do it's no big deal.  Better than a batch of gushers.

sieeve was sanitized and with 2 people no oxidization occured with a few techniques

Considering the list of brews you've got there, I guess you know what you're doing.

I'm personally paranoid about infections. I'd rather have a few hop bits floating in the glass than risk a gusher.

i place the sieve directly on the bottom of the pail and raise the sieve upwards with the raising beer always keeping the drain under the beer. it takes 2 people. i've done 3000+ bottles of wine and 20k beers under my belt with one batch of beer going bad because....well it was a kit and i think it was manufacturer's fault. I'm a chef and i take sanitation too seriously. might cost me more in cleaning supplies but cleanliness is next to godlyness. and i improvise well. a floating glass thermometer broke and fell into a batch of wine once and i shaved my wife's arm and made her soak it in the pink stuff so she could fish it out. wine was fine.

Back