• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

CaraGold in the malt list ?

Zirconium

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Why can't I find the CaraGold malt in the complete malt-list ?

I didn't see it on the website. Are you referring to Cara Amber? Cara Amber is in the BeerSmith list.

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?PN=1&idkat=18&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2

While were at it how about adding Wyeast #1450

http://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=201
YEAST STRAIN: 1450  |  Denny's Favorite 50

Back to Yeast Strain List

This terrific all-round yeast can be used for almost any beer style, and is a mainstay of one of our local homebrewers, Mr. Denny Conn. It is unique in that it produces a big mouthfeel and accentuates the malt, caramel, or fruit character of a beer without being sweet or under-attenuated.

Origin:
Flocculation: Low
Attenuation: 74-76%
Temperature Range: 60-70F 15-21C
Alcohol Tolerance: ABV 10%

Styles:
  American Amber Ale
  American Brown Ale
  American IPA
  American Pale Ale
  American Stout
  Braggot
  Brown Porter
  Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer
  Classic Rauchbier
  Cream Ale
  Fruit Beer
  Imperial IPA
  Irish Red Ale
  Other Smoked Beer
  Russian Imperial Stout
  Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer
  Strong Scotch Ale
  Wood-Aged Beer

CaraGold is a Chateau brand, by Castle Malt of Belgium.

This is the page with their specialty malts.
http://www.castlemalting.com/CastleMaltingMalts.asp?Language=English

According to their web site, CaraGold is Caramel (crystal) 120L.  Castle has "branded" all of their malts with a name which may or may not represent what that malt actually is.

bhanson, I think you might be looking at the EBC number. The Lovibond number looks closer to 45, to me.

You're correct that it is a Caramel malt, as that is what the Cara stands for in these European malts and what the website states. CaraMunich and CaraVienne act and taste like caramelized versions of the primary malt named. I say "act and taste," because I don't know a lot of detail about how they're actually made.

I use Crisp Maltings Cara Gold to add body and colour to a golden IPA. I added it to Beersmith using info from the Crisp web site.

Awesome, Roadrocket! It's always nice to be nearer the source!

As of this date, Crisp CaraGold isn't imported to the US. It is considerably lighter than the Castle version.

The Crisp website doesn't give details about moisture, protein or yield. How did you determine those values? And what are they?

Hi brewfun.

The Crisp website has a pdf file called the craft brewing product list that you can download. It gives a moisture of 6.5 and a colour of 13 to 17. I used 14

It doesn't give values for yield or protein but French & Jupps produce an almost identical malt and their website gives 74% yield which is a pretty standard figure for a light crystal. Protein for nearly all light crystals is 13. I've used those figures which I reckon are good.

I only use about 5% Cara Gold so even if the figures are slightly out, which I doubt, it'll make no difference.

Yes it's a lot lighter than the the Castle Maltings Cara Gold.

I use Crisp pale malt which I understand is a single variety winter barley called flagon. I find it very good.

Thanks, Roadrocket!

I love Crisp malts. Excellent flavor. Especially their Roast and Chocolate malts.

French and Jupps is another maltster that isn't widely available in the US, to my knowledge. I see that they say they export here, but not to any of the major suppliers.

Back