• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

all grain beer kit vs buying ingredients seperately

Damrite

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I've been buying all grain beer kit but now I was wondering what is the advantages of buying grajn in a 50 lbs bag and hops separately,  is it because there's a big difference in saving.
and what would be the most versatile if there, s one for most common brew.

I don't by the kits but buy or split full bags of grain.  The local brewer sells me some and I get in on other grain buys as well.  If it was me, I'd split a bag of medium crystal, full bag of Rahr 2-row for $27.50 and a bag of Maris Otter for about $46.  Since I'm a wheat nut I get whole bags of wheat and usually split Munich or Pils.

Mark

My supplier carry 2 row malt sack 47$ + shipping
I like ale, stout, lager.
what type of beer I can brew with that with this type of grain.
any grain recommendation would be really appreciated,  there is another supplier here in toronto that seems to carry a bigger selection I shiuld check them out.

The only thing I purchase by the bag is Northwest Pale Ale malt.  My local homebrew store sells it for $35.99 per 50# bag.  Every other grain I buy as needed, but I do up it on those grains that I anticipate using fairly soon. 

For example, if my line up looks like I'm going to be using a lot of Crystal 120, I'll buy more than my current needs. 

I wish I could brew often enough to just keep a supply of all of the grains I use often, so I can make whatever my heart desires on a particular day, but can't afford to do that.

p.s.
I've only ever used one all grain kit.  It was my first all grain batch.  I've been using my own recipes ever since, thanks to BeerSmith.

Thanks Scott, I got to look into the different grain I can get access to and what tyoe of recipes I can make with them, I think this is the way to go, but everytime I buy a brewing equipment my wife buys new shoes... I just dont get it :-\ lol

The only advantage I found was purchasing the 50# bag of 2 row.  MLHB shop sells it for $45.  All other speciality grain I just buy there.  This cuts my base malt cost in half.  If you have a freezer you can also buy favorite hops by the pound and freeze the excess.  I'm a hop head so I buy the pound of chinook for $16. 

I, ve bough a pound of cascade hops and it, s air seal in a aluminum foil, I should freeze it you think

Damrite said:
I, ve bough a pound of cascade hops and it, s air seal in a aluminum foil, I should freeze it you think

Yes.  Hops are fragile.  They should always be refrigerated at the very least.  If you don't anticipate using them for a while, freezing them is even better.

Aluminum foil is not the proper way to store them.  I suggest you get one of the seal a meal systems, so that you can pull a vacuum and seal them in a vacuum sealed bag.  Oxygen degrades hops very quickly.  Ziplock bags don't pull a vacuum and aren't air tight, so ziplock bags are not a good option.

I bought 55 lbs 2 row malt and  multiple ingredients for few of my favorite beer, I spend around $110 that will give me over 6 batch of 5 gallon, will never buy a kit anymore I think.

I could save money by buying a 25Kg sack of grain but it would take me ages to use up as I only get time to brew about once a month. I live very close to a supplier and I like to use freshly milled grain so I buy what I need a couple of days before I brew. I don't mind paying a little more when I know the quality is better.

Back