• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

aging beer in a 5 gal. keg

Damrite

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
Did some reading still little confuse about aging beer from fermenter to a 5  gal keg, what would be the proper step and how long can I keep it for in 5 gal keg.  :-\

I drink mostly Belgiums.  I am currently drinking one that is 18 months old.  The ones that I know are going to sit for a while I will carb naturally.  It is a good thing to do with lagers

So just add the dextrose sugar same as if i would bottle them right.

you can prime with sugar in the keg, some folks say to use about 2/3 as much but I don't know that it really matters a huge amount.

If you purge the keg well with co2 I am not convinced that priming gains you anything over force carbing except space in your keg fridge.

if you have enough kegs there is no reason why it can't stay in the keg for a year or more. I only own three and one has water in it so I only have the 2 for beer, I don't age things in the keg.

Thanks for all the good advice, when I meant aging in a keg, I should have been more specific, I was more thinking about a few month or more just for my summer supplies

More or less forever. Longer than a bottle for sure. I have two beers that have been in the keg for over a year.

tom_hampton said:
More or less forever. Longer than a bottle for sure. I have two beers that have been in the keg for over a year.

Our club had barrell day (put 53 gallons of RIS and Belgian Strong in a bourbon barrell) last weekend.  This was at our club presidents house.  I had one of his Vienna Lagers that he has had in a keg for nearly two years.  It is still awesome!

Back