• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Question About BESTMALZ Wheat Malt Analysis Sheet

LiquidFlame

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to enter some new ingredients into my BeerSmith and needed some help.  I'm entering BESTMALZ Wheat Malt and after looking at their analysis sheet I'm confused.  Any help would be appreciated.

[*]They list a min and max for color.  Which one should I use?
[*]They only list a max for moisture, so I would assume I would just use that?
[*]As far as I can see they don't list anything for diastatic power.  What should I enter?
[*]Just to make sure, I would use the following values for the following entires: Yield: 82% Coarse Fine Difference: 3% Protein:14%

Thanks.

Malt websites list targets and limits. It's a reliable range of what you can expect. Actual malt analysis will vary, but also contains more information specific to the batch you have in hand.

LiquidFlame said:
[*]They list a min and max for color.  Which one should I use?

An average is fine.

[*]They only list a max for moisture, so I would assume I would just use that?

No. That's the maximum moisture they will allow in a batch of malt, not their target. Higher moisture contents degrade malt, but they never will be totally dry. I would expect this wheat malt to be 4% to 4.5%

[*]As far as I can see they don't list anything for diastatic power.  What should I enter?

Without a Bestmalz lot number, I can't be exact. Wheat malt does have a lot of diastatic power, though. I have two lot analysis for Briess white wheat, showing 127 and 146 deg lintner. Bestmalz is really good stuff, so, I'd expect similar numbers.

[*]Just to make sure, I would use the following values for the following entires: Yield: 82% Coarse Fine Difference: 3% Protein:14%

Again, you're seeing limits, rather than target ranges. The yield is the minimum allowed in their quality assurance and the other two numbers are maximums. They have to really screw up to get a coarse/fine difference of 3%, meaning that modification was a bit incomplete. The reality is more like 1 to 1.5% which would be quite realistic if you adopt the lower yield number.

For Wheat malt protein, adopting the upper range number is fine, until you have a lot number.

Sorry, I'm newer to this, so not sure if this is a lot number or not, but it's the only thing I see on the bag that I would consider one to be.  Best Wheat Malt: 0016 343114 W4,5  &  Best Pilsen Malt: 0593 643201 P3,5  I message my LHBS to see if he had the lot analysis or if he could get it from his supplier.

Thanks.

Here you go. For some reason, Bestmalz hasn't been publishing diastatic levels for any of their malts. It took some digging to find.

Bestmalz White Wheat
Color 2.2 lovibond
Moisture: 4.3%
Extract: 84.9%
Fine/Course diff: 2%
Diastatic: 146 lintner
Total Protein: 12.2%

Bestmalz Pilsen
Color 1.8 lovibond
Moisture: 4.6%
Extract: 82.7%
Fine/Course diff: 1.2%
Diastatic: 128 lintner
Total Protein: 11.4%

Thank you very much.  How/where did you find this information, and were the numbers I gave you the correct ones.

Back