• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

SG goes up a hair...

JimPony

Apprentice
Reaction score
A strange thing is happening when I check my SG.  Brewed a DIPA and my hydrometer has read 1.014 over the past 2 days.  But as I leave it out to let it settle, after about 10 minutes it goes up to 1.016.  Any idea what is causing this?

Probably bubbles clinging to the hydrometer, causing it to float higher.  Once they come off it sinks a bit lower.  Try giving it a good spin remove the bubbles when you take your next reading.

JimPony said:
A strange thing is happening when I check my SG.  Brewed a DIPA and my hydrometer has read 1.014 over the past 2 days.  But as I leave it out to let it settle, after about 10 minutes it goes up to 1.016.  Any idea what is causing this?

is it possible the beer is cooling? it IS probably bubbles but the hydrometer is calibrated at a particular temp, if the temp is higher than that it will read lower and vice versa.

I'm going with the bubbles.  That makes sense.  Thanks guys!

Back