• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

New to All Grain - Was Given Ingredients - Need Recipe Suggestion

OzarkBrewer

Master Brewer
Reaction score
The following ingredients were given to me.  I'm a new All-grain brewer.  I only have (1) 10 gallon A.P.A batch under my belt.  I split it in half and made 5 g of I.P.A. out of it.  I know just enough now to want to brew another batch.  I have a 15 g boiler but I'll probably just do a 5 g batch this next time.  I don't know a whole lot about ingredients quite yet so I'm looking for ideas on what all I could do with the following ingredients.  Maybe something a little different from what I just made.  All I know about these ingredients is the person I got that had them was brewing Ales mostly.  I realize I will have to add a few ingredients to the mix.

Anyway, could some one point me to a good , fairly easy all grain recipe for my second ever all grain batch?  I like Ales but I also love hoppy wheats.

Any input is always nice to hear on here.

here's what I have:

(1) large bin of probably 50# of grain and I'm assuming barley?, (un-milled)

1 bag (13#) of 2 Row,

1# Alpha Acid 10%
Serebianca 3.5%
Willamette 7.8% 2 bags
Appolo 19.5%

I'm thinking that mixed bag, some of the serebrianca, and you've got yourself a nice looking 5 gallon wit beer recipe. or go with the willamette and make an ordinary bitter. I'm going on the assumption that the 10L listed is actually munich not crystal malt. otherwise I'd bump the base malt up a bunch with some of the 13# 2 row and either make a 10 gallon batch or a bigger beer.

I'll assume you don't mean 50# of unmalted barley, because that's a lot of unmalted barley so it's likely 2 row or some other type of pale malt. any chance you can find out what it is?

the 13# of 2 row can be anything you can imagine.

appollo hops I'm not all that familiar with besides knowing that the can throw some onion/garlic. I'd do more research on those.

Welcome to All Grain (AG) Brewing.

I see that kit came from Austin Home Brew, maybe they could tell you what kit that is. What is the bin with the grains, it looks like stalks or something. The picture didn't enlarge very well. How old are the malts? If they're like a year old, they probably won't be worth your effort. I would just feed them to hogs or cows. I wouldn't be surprised if the Oz of hops labeled 10% AA came with some sort of kit. They have a tendency not to label the type of hops and yeast in them. 

Your just getting your feet wet in the AG pool, brew something that's forgiving. Why risk it on some free grains that you know nothing about. Brew what you like to drink. A american wheat ale sounds good, and that oz of Apollo would really hop it up( 80 Acre Hoppy Wheat).  A cream ale, amber, and browns are good to start out on. They have flavor and body and enough color to hide a small mistake.

Good luck, let us know if you figure out what you have. 

Thank you both for the ideas.  They could be old so I just might give them to the neighbor for his chickens.  I love 80 acres hoppy wheat!  Wonder if there's a recipe for it on B.S.?  As far as the kit, not a bad idea checking with Austin, thanks!

uncrushed malt kept dry will be plenty good for several years. taste some, if it doesn't taste stale it's still good. but chickens also love it so you could just score yourself a couple dozen free eggs.

Back