• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Low Mash In Numbers

HD3

New Forum Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question.  Recently, I have been having troubles with the Mash In volumes in my Mash Profile.  Take for instance, I am currently building a session pale recipe with 8.4# of grain.  When I select single infusion batch sparge, it indicates that I need to mash in with 2.88 gallons of water.  That seems ridiculously low as I usually would mash in with 4-5 gallons.  It then tells me to sparge with roughly 7 gallons.  Is there away for me to adjust this so that beer smith is providing correct volumes?  Would it be something in my equipment profile that is messing it up? 

Thanks. 

In the mash profile or recipe mash tab, you can change the liquor to grist ratio by clicking on any temperature step. BeerSmith does the math, from there, and will add your mashtun dead space, if you've selected it.

A normal mash is going to be 1.2 to 1.5 quarts per pound. BeerSmith is showing a mash in the 1.35 qt/lb range.

You're usual number of 4 gallons is nearly 2:1 qt/lb ratio, which isn't out of bounds, just thinner than most and can create issues with mash pH being too high. I think 5 gallons would be too much water for an effective mash.

Back