• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

bottling using Co2

davidrgreen

Master Brewer
Reaction score
Up until now i have been bottle conditioning but at some point i would like to move to kegging and carbonating with Co2... I dont currently have the cash to make a full kegerator (my wife tells me if i am going to have one it needs to be a nice new stainless steel one and must look really nice). What i was wondering is weather it is possible to buy a keg, co2, regulator, tap and hoses and use this to carbonate my beer and then fill my bottles until i have the cash for the fridge, and then incorporate it all into the fidge at a later date? The only thing i can think of that stops me may be temperature as the keg would pesumably need to be well chilled before bottling thus i need a fridge.... Any help would be much appreciated.

yup, you'll need a way to keep that keg cold not only while bottling but also while carbing. force carbing beer at room temp takes forever and high pressure (Not more than the keg can handle but still a lot ~40 PSI).

However, if you mix your priming sugar in the keg and then push the primed beer into bottles using co2 you don't need a fridge. This is nice because you can purge the keg of o2 and there fore you can shake the keg to mix the sugar and beer really well.

You could also sugar prime the keg and let it carb naturally at room temp but you still have to chill it to drink or bottle.

check out the little 7.5 cf chest freezers, you can build a collar out of 2X6 to accept the taps and then you can paint, frame, cover with wood panel, cover with SS sheets, or whatever you wife feels will best fit into the rest of the decor!

Back