• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Starter Wort Storage question...

Scott Ickes

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I make starter wort up ahead of time. 

My process is:
Sterilizing canning jars:
    Boil canning jars and lift them out full and put boiled and sterilized caps on them.
Filling sterilized canning jars:
  I make up the volume of starter wort that I need to fill the canning jars.
  I then empty the sterilized water out of the canning jar and fill it back up with boiling starter wort, put the sterilized cap back on it
      and tighten it down.

I've been refridgerating my wort, but I'm thinking that I don't have to refridgerate it.  I'm not a canning expert, since I've only ever canned water and wort.

Does anyone that cans have an opinion on whether I'm ok with not refridgerating it?

scott I have been canning all of about 25 years now and I think you need to let the lid, jar, ring, and wert boil for a while at least so the lid has time to properly meld to the jar. I've done what you have described but I keep then in the fridge. canning wert should be no problem though imo. that lid sets like glue and for a proper seal it need to boil for some time I would say at least 5 minuets. just do what you have been then boil the jars for 5 to set the seal. remember to tighten the ring a little after they cool, it loosen up after cooling .   

PS I did mean the next time that you save wert , now if they have already cooled I would see what happens or just keep in the fridge. all that hot to cool cool to hot is no good for the seals . 

If you use pressure cooker at 12 to 15  psi for 20 minutes, you will have no problems storing the wort at room temp. You will notice a lot more hot break in the canning bottles, but it will clump and settle to the bottom. If you use this process I recommend reading about low acid canning on the internet. 

+1 to pressure canning. wort pH is significantly above the recommended maximum for water bath canning. While nothing bad is living in your BEER bad things could live in your starter wort if kept at room temp and not pressure canned.

I do this with third runnings from  all grain batches when I am running low. I fill .5 gallon mason jars ~2/3 full and pressure can them, then when I'm ready to make a starter I spray the outside of the jar with starsan, pop it open, pitch the yeast and seal it up to shake aerate then just leave the dome on with the band just one turn down so everything it unsealed but nothing will fall in or knock the dome off.

Back