• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Nugget hop growing

Roadrocket

Grandmaster Brewer
Reaction score
I'm getting a nugget plant later this week. I have a fair size garden with some fruit trees so I want to have a go at growing some hops. I plan to string it between some existing poles which are about 10 ft high. I don't know if nugget is a good choice but I understand it's a relatively easy variety to grow. If it turns out OK I might add an aroma variety next year. Possibly pilgrim.

I don't get time to grow vegetables or flowers but I do grow fruit and herbs. I use some of them for making mead so hops are a progression. I also think hops look good.

Has anybody grown nugget or another similar bittering hop. I'm wondering if the alpha acid varies a lot each year. Is there any easy way of testing the bitterness before you put them into the boil or do you have to take a guess. I'm a long way from the point of doing that and I might not get any cones at all this year but it's something I've been thinking about.

well I planted 3 nugget rezones in the spring of 13  here in Minnesota and by fall 1 of the 3 gave me loads of hops the other 2 were slower to produce. 24 foot is what the height was on the big one.( I've got pictures but do not know how to load then.) the small plants were 6 foot and 15 foot. I don't know why there was such a difference, probably the rezones were in bad shape?. I think the supplier knows how to give you what you need , not what you want. no complaints here I ended up with hops for a 4 gal batch. good for 1st year plants.
As far as acid levels go, I don't know.         

When growing your own hops it is impossible to know the percentage of alpha acids without getting them tested. Most people recommend growing your own aroma/flavor hops, and purchasing bittering hops with a known AA%.

Back