• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

How do you calculate the amount of dry yeast pkg's needed for a starter?

MY ADV

Apprentice
Reaction score
BS-2 helps calculate the amount of liquid yeast packets needed with a starter. But, the Dry yeast portion dose not calculate the amount of dry yeast packages needed for a starter. Do I just use the same recommendation as the liquid yeast?

that's because you don't need to make a starter with dry yeast!

generally it's considered less than optimal to make a starter with dry yeast because the yeast in the packet was treated prior to drying to make sure it had all the glycol reserves it would need to start reproducing right away. by making a starter you will likely just make the yeast use up their reserves without actually giving them enough food to reproduce much.

There are also so many more viable cells in a dry yeast pack that it is often not needed anyway.

Check out mrmalty.com for some pitching rate guidance.

It does help if you rehydrate the yeast before adding it to the Wort.

I usually boil some water then let it cool until it's tepid, about 30c. I put about 100 ml into a sterilised bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top. After 15 minutes I stir it with a sterilised fork into a brown, milky liquid. After 5 minutes I stir it again before adding it to the wort.

I put 5 gallons of blonde ale into a fermentor two days ago and added one packet of rehydrated dried yeast. It was already bubbling in the airlock when I next looked 7 hours later.

For years I used to simply sprinkle the yeast on top of the wort but I find it works quicker if you rehydrate it first. It's important to get a good, protective layer of CO2 on the wort as soon as possible.

You'll get a wide variety of responses to this question. Some will be well informed; some will be nonsense. Go to the manufacturer's web site and read the directions.

All calculators I have seen are in pretty good agreement on cell count required.  Jamil says minimum 20Billion cells per gram.  Beersmith says 18.  Manufacturers  have another number.  You can change that number in Beersmith  if you want under Options. Yeast Starter.  Then just divide your cells needed by your per gram count selected after reducing for viability based on the yeast package date to see what you need.  I usually round up to an even pack.  Instead of a starter I use 1.25 grams GoFerm rehydration nutrient per gram of dry yeast used in 20 times the GoFerm weight in water. Pitch in 15-20 minutes.

Example:  You need 220 Billion cells.  Using 20B/g cell count (assuming 100% viability) you need 11 g dry yeast and 13.75 g GoFerm  in 275 g water. (if you don't use a gram scale you can figure GoFerm at 2.8 grams per teaspoon) Water is 1 ml per gram so you just measure 275 ml of water. 

http://www.scottlab.com/product-102.aspx

Back