• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

add yeast last?

monsteroyd

Apprentice
Reaction score
Hi,

I am basically an extract brewer and I do a partial boil, late extract additions at flame out, and then add water to get to my batch size. I have my equipment profile pretty much dialed in. However, my question is why do the brew steps always show me pitching yeast and then adding the rest of the extract (when I have checked 'add after boil')? It isn't a big deal, as I know what to do, but you'd think that the last step in ANY brew would be to pitch the yeast. Anyway how do I get the brew steps changed to show the yeast going last? Or is this possible?

Monty

When I was an extract brewer I put the extract as add at 10 minutes, not as after the boil.  Top up water is something you'd add after the boil.  But not extract.  The balance of your extract needs to be boiled for about 10 minutes.

add after boil is different then add at 0 minutes.

I add sugar to big saisons about 2-5 days into fermentation so the yeast have a little easier time at the outset. similar with big barley wines with added sugar.

google 'incremental feeding' and see what you find.

Back