• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Does my fermenter look ok?

BigBBrew

Brewer
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at home brewing. I made the mistake of putting the airlock on my fermenter the first day. I return home from work to find my plug and airlock on the floor and thick foam crawling out. I changed to a tube in a bucket of water. Please look at this and tell me if things look ok. Thanks

looks fine and dandy to me. blow off tubes are handy aren't they. 

You need to add some starsan to the bucket of water. From the picture your yeast is plenty healthy. It will settle down in a couple days. I would recommend a larger container, with more head space for your next batch.

Remember to sanitize, sanitize, sanitize !!!

Thanks for the advice. I did put some starsan in the water. Every site, blog and podcast I've seen and read has put a lot emphasis on the need to be diligent about sanitization. Thanks for taking the time to reply about the wellness of my beer. I'll be able to rest easier tonight.

It does indeed look fine.

What temp did you pitch yeast at? one of the things that causes really robust fermentations like that is pitching at too high a temp. I generally pitch an ale at around 62-64*f and hold it there for the first 3-7 days so the fermentation starts out a little more sedately. You get less blowoff and more importantly less danger or fusel alcohols which give me a terrible headache.

The mark of a REAL home brewer is krausen stains on the ceiling! Most of us have had your experience. Congratulations on getting started on the endless learning process!

Also, I want to echo morticaixavier's comment on cool fermentations. After all the work that goes into brewing (and cleanup) it's well worth the effort required to control fermentation temperature. You taste buds will thank you!

A way to keep the fermentations temperatures down is to put the carboy into a shallow container of some kind with 4 inches of cold water in it.  Wrap a damp towel around it, with the bottom of the towel hanging down in the water.  Position a fan to blow air across the towel.  This will evaporate water from the towel taking heat away.  The towel will keep wicking up water from the pan and will stay damp.  I've dropped fermentation temperatures by as much as 7F this way.  I ferment in my insulated and heated garage.  The heater in the garage is isolated from the rest of the house, so I'm able to control the room temperature very precisely during most of the year.

If my damp towel and fan is getting my fermentation too cold, I can just dial up the heat in the garage a few degrees.

Even during the hottest part of the summer, I seem able to hold fermentation temps down at about 68F ( a little warm maybe, but livable) for an ale.

I pitched the yeast at 72F. As per the directions (70-80). I'm going to make another batch after I bottle this one. I'll remember to pitch the yeast at a lower temp. Thanks for the help.

BigBBrew said:
I pitched the yeast at 72F. As per the directions (70-80). I'm going to make another batch after I bottle this one. I'll remember to pitch the yeast at a lower temp. Thanks for the help.

yeah, I think kit manufacturers want to make sure you see super active fermentation right away. it'll take a little longer to get going at the cooler temps but you will be happier with the final product.

morticaixavier said:
I generally pitch an ale at around 62-64*f and hold it there for the first 3-7 days so the fermentation starts out a little more sedately. You get less blowoff and more importantly less danger or fusel alcohols which give me a terrible headache.

+1 to this. Plus lower esters, better attenuation and less diacetyl. If you repitch, the yeast is healthier, too.

I don't think you can overstate the benefits of fermentation temperature control in making good beer.

brewfun said:
morticaixavier said:
I generally pitch an ale at around 62-64*f and hold it there for the first 3-7 days so the fermentation starts out a little more sedately. You get less blowoff and more importantly less danger or fusel alcohols which give me a terrible headache.

I don't think you can overstate the benefits of fermentation temperature control in making good beer.

+1!  The quality of my beer and the scores at competitions went up dramatically when I started to control fermentation temperatures!!

I am just starting to find it IS the difference.  Especially  the ramping part.  Took me a while.  It should be renamed fermentation temperature management. 

Thanks for the tip on the yeast pitch temp. It's going to be a long 4 weeks. Any suggestions for my second batch. I'd like to brew another IPA but ii think I'll try something's else, maybe a porter. Thanks again

porters are tasty. not sure where you are located climate wise but kolsche is a good spring beer style because it wants cooler temps, also California common.

I like a nice stout in spring time.

whatever you choose, good call on getting the second batch going now.

Back