• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

scaling batch size question

dlb

Apprentice
Reaction score
hello ,  when I try to decrease "scale" the batch size of a recipe that was 5 gallon to a 3 gal. it seems to me that the ingredients ,  grain / hops should decrease.  i'm sure it's my beersmith ineptitude but they don't .  the water amounts have changed but not the others.  I've created a "my equipment" profile for 3 gal. .  i open the recipe , click on "scale" ,  pick my 3 gal. equip. .  and the amounts of grain and hops are the same as they were in the 5 .  should it be that way ?.    thanks for any help ,  dave.

Have you checked the "Match original gravity, color and bitterness" check box?  If you do, it should scale the ingredients to match your new volume.

THANKS FOR THE REPLY AND THE HELP DRB !.  SOUNDS LIKE THAT WOULD DO IT.  I'M NEW TO THE BEERSMITH AND I'M STILL LEARNING .  I'LL LOOK AT THAT WHEN I'M ABLE.  I'M PRETTY SURE I HAVN'T CHECKED THAT .
THANKS AGAIN.    DAVE.

Back