• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

stupid ! priming move

dlb

Apprentice
Reaction score
hate to have to admit this but ...      i'm bottling a batch of the bells 2 heart clone .  i grab my mason jar of powder add the correct amount , boil it , cool it , stir it in and proceed to bottle.  24 hours later with a jolt i have a terrible thought !.  when i check i see that stupidly i have used my jar of dme instead  of the corn sugar .  dumb s _ _ t .    any idea what that will result in, or should i start pouring it out now.    duh' , dave.

I actually use dme and don't use corn sugar.  dme in equal amounts with corn sugar results in less carbonation using dme.  for a 5 gallon batch with 2.4 volumes of co2, you'd need 2.52 ounces of corn sugar, where you'd use 3.87 ounces of dme.

So, you'll still be carbonated, just not as much as if you'd have used corn sugar.

How much dme did you use and what was your bottling volume?

thanks so much for the reply scott.  i used 3.5 oz. wt. of the dme into 3.75 gal. =  40 / 12oz. bottles
  wuh' duh' ya' think ..

You'll have 2.6 volumes of co2.  Might be overcarbonated for the style, but it shouldn't produce gushers or bottle bombs.  Depending on the style it might actually be within the style range or just slightly over it.  What style of beer did you make?

It's a good thing that you didn't use that much corn sugar.  With corn sugar you'd have had 3.2 volumes of co2!  That is getting into bottle bomb territory.

thanks for the helpful and heartening  replies scott .  the bells 2 heart is an ipa style .  i started out shooting for a 5 gal.   

batch.  had some loss from loose dry hopping in the secondary and then a clogged bottle filler. i gave up at 40/12's .    so , i added the 3.5 oz. dme to somewhere in the 4 gal + range.  just was only able to bottle 3.75 gal.
so i guess it's not a lost cause. i won't abandon it.    just have to what and see.
thanks again.  dave.

Back