• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water chemistry additions for no sparge brewing

hbohnet

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Just started no sparge continuous recirculation brewing and also just started using Beersmith. I have a question on correcting water chemistry profile for no sparge brewing. I need to add CaCl to my strike water and would the calculation be based on the batch size (5.5 gal) or the actual start volume of water (8.4 gal). There is approx 5 gal in the mash tun at all times and the remaining 3.5 gal in the HLT but the entire volume is recirculated through the mash. I would assume it is based on total water volume. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi could you explain your process?  I do recirculation mashing.  I do have either a batch or a fly sparge.  I use PH5.2 to lock in my ph.  Both the mash liquor & sparge liquor get their dose of  PH5.2

You may find Martin Brungard's spreadsheet helpful:    https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Martin's spreadsheet has way more moving parts than BeerSmith's water treatment. That means it takes a little more work, but it's probably a little more precise. I had to read the instructions a couple of times and play with it a bit to understand how to make it work, but it will explain the treatment of mash and sparge water, evven if you don't use sparge water.

+1 top martin's spreadsheet. It's invaluable. I don't have a pH meter and don't trust the strips so I start with RO water and use his spreadsheet to calculate my mash chemistry. works wonderfully.

A note on 5.2 stabalizer. It really doesn't work. There is simply no way that one product and ensure a pH of 5.2 in every water with every grist no matter what. The guys that designed it did it for one particular client with one particular water profile and said it doesn't even really work all that well for them.

Thanks for the info guys. I have downloaded the spreadsheet and wow, very impressive. I need to work with it to see how it fits into the no sparge brewing

Haerbob3, if you search Counter Top Brutus 20 (thread on HBT) it gives a much better explanation than I can here, thanks for the reply.

hbohnet said:
Thanks for the info guys. I have downloaded the spreadsheet and wow, very impressive. I need to work with it to see how it fits into the no sparge brewing

Haerbob3, if you search Counter Top Brutus 20 (thread on HBT) it gives a much better explanation than I can here, thanks for the reply.

I have asked Martin about that and he says to treat the whole mass of water. so in volume of mash water put the full volume you will end up with. Sparge volume will be 0

Back