• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Adjusting AA % in hops

usit86

Apprentice
Reaction score
Is it correct to adjust bitterness in recipe according to AA% of the hops we will use ?  Therefore if AA% of recipe calls for 5,4 and actual hops in hand are only 3,4, I can adjust bitterness slider and increase grams of hops used ?  Also is there a way to correct this in dry hopping instead of during boil?

Thank you

Yes.  I update the %AA of each of the hops I use when I get a new batch of hops in.  I usually update it in the ingredient profile by clicking the hop and making the adjustment in %AA.  When I bring up a recipe, I can then "substitute" the new hop lot for the old hop lot entered when the recipe was designed.  Alternatively, you can adjust the hop %AA in the recipe just before you print out or brew it by double clicking on the hop in the recipe design screen and making the adjustment in %AA there.  If you make the adjustment in the recipe, it will only affect that particular recipe, and you will need to make the same adjustment if you use the hop in any other recipe.

Back