• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

recovery

itsratso

Master Brewer
Reaction score
not a bug, more support question here. lost my laptop this weekend and my 100+ BS recipes with it (i know, i know...). but i do have crashplan cloud recovery. so i am hoping all is not lost. can you tell me what/where is the data for the recipes kept so i can see if i can find the folder? and if i do find it do i just replace the current folder with the old one with the recipe files? thanx!

alright, so I found the folder (user>my documents>beersmith2>archive). so now the problem is I can't figure out how to import it into beersmith. I tried simply swapping the current archive folder (empty) with mine (full of recipes) but that didn't work. I have tried dragging and dropping the recipes into BS, the import wizard, no dice. I can click on each recipe and then manually save them but two problems: I have 570 files (!) and the way it saves them is bizarre and I still can't make sense out of it - the files are numbered and not named and if I try renaming them it seems as if they save them as a number again. that will get very confusing when I get up into say the 300th multiple renamed file. isn't there an easy way to import these?

Just move the archive into the documents/beersmith2 folder. Click yes to overwrite the defaults.

this is what i did, and it did give me a warning box that it would overwrite. but it remained on the defaults?

OK, I did a bit of digging on your cloud backup. I'm referencing this article. http://www.zdnet.com/how-crashplan-cloud-backup-saved-my-bacon-7000003457/

The archive file is more granular than the whole folder. It only shows changes for the day or session it timestamps. Closer to Wayback, than a backup.

Crashplan apparently holds a daily backup for 90 days and a weekly one for a year, then monthly. Granularity is set by the user. Hopefully, you were taking advantage of frequent backups.

Logging into Crashplan for the day before you lost your computer, you should find a documents/beersmith2 folder. This is what you want to use to restore your recipes by copying it in place of the current one.

I strongly recommend that you rename the current beersmith2 folder to Beersmith2 bak so that you don't accidentally destroy anything you've created since.

thanx for your help brewfun, but something just isn't working right. the backup I got from crashplan has the old recipes in them, I can click on them and they are there. so the backup file is secure. but I cannot get BS to recognize it. I have the original beersmith2 folder (restored from crashplan with my recipes in it). I drag it into my documents (renaming the existing beersmith2 folder to beersmith 2 old). I start beersmith, it asked me to register. I put in the registration code and none of my recipes show - just the defaults. I think the problem may be that in the documents "archive" folder I have my original recipes but they have been renamed - example : Ar-0-2-22_32-41_16057 . if I click on it, beersmith will open it and I can save it. but to do this for 500+ recipes will be tedious. but if that is what I have to do than that is all I can do. let me know what you think and thanx again for the help.

Somewhere along the line, the directory you're copying to isn't what BeerSmith is looking at. Let's see if we can just cut and paste within BeerSmith to restore the recipes.

From Crashplan, find the Recipe.bsmx file with the latest date and timestamp on it. Copy that to your desktop.

From the desktop, click on the recipe.bsmx file. This will launch BeerSmith. The panel you see will be your recipes as stored on the cloud. Hopefully, they are all there. Highlight all of the recipes [edit menu > select all]. Copy, then click the My Recipes tab. Paste to this tab.

That should place all of your recipes into BeerSmith so that they load normally. Once this works, you can delete the recipe.bsmx file from the desktop.

Back