• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Water Profile Tool, Base Profile

mmgerecke

New Forum Member
Reaction score
Hello, New to the forum and reaching out for some advice. I am starting to take on water profiles and have a question about the tool. What's unclear to me is the volume for the base profile. Is it looking for total volume, or preboil volume.

To control PH in the mash, I am using small amounts of Lactic Acid, so I am just concerned about making salt adjustments in the boil. My theory is that I would just need to treat the preboil volume because of this, but looking for some help.

Thanks

mmgerecke said:
What's unclear to me is the volume for the base profile. Is it looking for total volume, or preboil volume.
My theory is that I would just need to treat the preboil volume because of this, but looking for some help.

BeerSmith is assuming a treatment profile for your total water. Insofar as giving you a full list of minerals to use, it's fine. You can then use a standard ratio of 1/3 in the mash, 2/3 in the boil.

HOWEVER!! The water profile tool has limitations that are documented all throughout this forum.

The link that ihikeut cited is a more specialized tool for dynamically honing in your treatment, based on your local water and recipe.

There is a growing homebrew myth that brewing water MUST be treated and that the treatment MUST be precise. It aint so. A certain amount of treatment can be beneficial for mash quality and taste, but there is a huge range of acceptability.

I have a very "hard" mineral profile that rivals Dortmund and Burton. I treat my paler beers with acidulated malt to get the pH I want, based on the water I get most of the year.

I take a dissolved solids reading before each batch as a nominal guide to what the city is sending me. That reading alone doesn't tell me anything, except that when it rises, I know I am being sent more ground water. Through past analysis I know what the ground water typically has in it. Over a certain amount, a small amount of phosphoric acid is used to adjust pH.

I don't treat my sparge water, at all. This flys in the face of a lot of online advice, but the last runnings of my mash are seldom above 5.6.

Thank you both for your replies. I will be sure to check out that link. Seems to be a fairly common resource among home brewers. Cheers!

brewfun said:
mmgerecke said:
What's unclear to me is the volume for the base profile. Is it looking for total volume, or preboil volume.
My theory is that I would just need to treat the preboil volume because of this, but looking for some help.

BeerSmith is assuming a treatment profile for your total water. Insofar as giving you a full list of minerals to use, it's fine. You can then use a standard ratio of 1/3 in the mash, 2/3 in the boil.

HOWEVER!! The water profile tool has limitations that are documented all throughout this forum.

The link that ihikeut cited is a more specialized tool for dynamically honing in your treatment, based on your local water and recipe.

There is a growing homebrew myth that brewing water MUST be treated and that the treatment MUST be precise. It aint so. A certain amount of treatment can be beneficial for mash quality and taste, but there is a huge range of acceptability.

I have a very "hard" mineral profile that rivals Dortmund and Burton. I treat my paler beers with acidulated malt to get the pH I want, based on the water I get most of the year.

I take a dissolved solids reading before each batch as a nominal guide to what the city is sending me. That reading alone doesn't tell me anything, except that when it rises, I know I am being sent more ground water. Through past analysis I know what the ground water typically has in it. Over a certain amount, a small amount of phosphoric acid is used to adjust pH.

I don't treat my sparge water, at all. This flys in the face of a lot of online advice, but the last runnings of my mash are seldom above 5.6.

Its funny, I probably have some of the blame for that myth.  At least here.  I think people look at how I describe my methods and think they are incredibly complicated.  The truth is, I spend most of the brew day with my feet propped up enjoying the spring air, sunshine, and birds chirping. 

I used to fuss over it a lot.  But, enough experience calculating, measuring, adjusting, etc...and I've come full circle.  I know what's going to happen, and the measurements just confirm my expectations.  I dont' think I made a single pH ADJUSTMENT all year last year.  Just take a measurement and "yep, that's what I expected." 

I also don't treat my sparge water

Back