• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Forgot to compensate for boil off...

TheDuster

Apprentice
Reaction score
My first batch (red ale) is 4 days into primary fermentation and I realized that I neglected to compensate for boil off when adding water.  In total I used five gallons, which based on the reading I've done here will leave me roughly a gallon short of the supposed 5 gallon yield.  Is there an appropriate time to add more water to adjust for this rookie mistake?  I figure I could do it when I transfer to my secondary fermentation carboy or just prior to bottling when I move it to the bottling bucket (or even leave it as is at the risk of the finished product being unbearably strong).  Any thoughts?  I searched the forums and my books for something similar but came up empty-handed.  Thank you in advance.

So the beer will be a little more malty, a little more hoppy, and a little more alcohol. These conditions don't constitute a problem, its just beer!
You could boil water, keep it covered, let it cool to fermentation temp and add, but since you are new to brewing you risk contamination. Secondary fermentation .... you don't need it.

Just learn from your mistakes and brew on!

There will be enough malt to carry the higher alcohol since the malt is concentrated too.

Totally agree with River.  Leave it be.  It will be the "best" beer you've ever had.  Mostly because you brewed it. 

Thank you both for the responses.  I'll let you know how it turns out!  Second batch is going in tomorrow and I plan to avoid making the same mistakes.

TheDuster said:
Thank you both for the responses.  I'll let you know how it turns out!  Second batch is going in tomorrow and I plan to avoid making the same mistakes.

Excellent...always better to make entirely new mistakes.  :p

Experienced brewers call this barley wine and do it intentionally. He he!! Let it go. High gravity beer is not a bad thing.

Back