• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

When should I bottle my 1st batch?

BigBBrew

Brewer
Reaction score
So I'm 10 days into my 1st batch. It's a California IPA. Things have really slowed down in my fermenter after cleaning up my mess last week. The wort is barely moving around but the air lock is still making a bubble every 10 seconds. From what I've read I need to wait until Friday or Saturday (12th or 13th day) to move it to my secondary before bottling on Sunday or Monday or whenever it's ready.

When should I check the specific gravity and when do I bottle?

Hi Bigbrew
I have had my first brew in bottles for a week now, I left it in fermenter for 21 days before bottling. I believe there is no bad effects for leaving your beer in fermenter for this long, it gives the yeast time to tidy up after its self. People use to think they had to get it off the yeast quicker but I have read that people now see no adverse effects for leaving it in fermenter longer.
I would leave it to do its thing even when its stopped bubbling. I took my FG just before bottling and I did'nt use a secondary fermentor, as i don't see the point its just another risk in my book.

Unless you're dry hopping it, there is really no reason to move it to a secondary.  I would just leave it in the primary.

As far as how long before going to a secondary or how long before bottling, my advice is to never put a calendar length of time on it.  Every batch is different, even if the recipe is exactly the same. 

Learn to be a yeast whisperer.  They'll let you know when they are done. 

Now, as for some guidance:
  If there is airlock activity, the yeast are still busy in most cases, especially at airlock activity every 10 seconds.  If you bottle too soon,
      you risk having bottle bombs.  If you let it go longer than necessary, you will probably have a clearer, cleaner beer.
  You might want to raise the temperature of the fermentor up into the 72 to 75 degree F. range right now to let the yeast clean up
      after themselves.  This will allow them to clean up diecytels, etc.  Maybe hold that temperature for 24 to 48 hours, then bring it back
      down.
  You would have wanted your primary fermentation in the 62F to 66F range, depending on the strain of yeast that you used.  If you
      didn't have control of the primary temperature, then a rest to let the yeast clean up is a moot point.
  You can start taking gravity readings whenever you suspect that the yeast are done.  Some brewers monitor it closely and go to a
      diacytel rest when about 75% of the gravity drop has been achieved.  I don't monitor it this closely, because each time you open
      up the fermentor, you risk contamination.  I watch airlock activity.  With airlock activity at 10 second intervals, it's a good time to
      raise the temperature for your rest.
  Once you think it might be ready to bottle, take a gravity reading.  The next day, take another one.  The next day, take another one.
      If you have the same reading for three consecutive days, you can bottle.

Just remember, make sure that anything that is going to come into contact with your beer is clean and has been sanitized.  Also, you can't sanitize something that hasn't been cleaned first.

Good luck!

Thank you for the advice last week. I left it alone checking every few days as per your advice. I'm at 14 days and the yeast is still working. 1 bubble every 25 seconds. It's amazing how consistent the gas bubbles are releasing. As Scott Ikes said "The yeast will tell me when it's ready". When I started this, I had a schedule, brew on day 1, bottle on day 14 and drink on day 28, so I thought.  I appreciate all the help and I hope I can help another first timer in the future.

The secret to developing more patience with fermentations, is to buy more fermenters and brew more often, so that you always have one ready to bottle every week or two.  I've brewed 25 batches in the last year, accounting for 130 gallons of beer.  I am basically brewing or bottling most every weekend.  I have 5 full fermentors right now.

Scott Ickes said:
The secret to developing more patience with fermentations, is to buy more fermenters and brew more often, so that you always have one ready to bottle every week or two.  I've brewed 25 batches in the last year, accounting for 130 gallons of beer.  I am basically brewing or bottling most every weekend.  I have 5 full fermentors right now.

Dude get some kegs! I have 4 fermenters. I'd kill myself or someone nearby if I bottled every weekend.

tom_hampton said:
Scott Ickes said:

Dude get some kegs! I have 4 fermenters. I'd kill myself or someone nearby if I bottled every weekend.

Kegging is on the wish list.  The wife has agreed to let me build a 6 keg keezer!  Budgeting for it.  She's already started putting $1000 away for it.  Probably early next year is when it will happen.

I seldom primary more than 10 days for an ale and, I seldom ever secondary ales. (23 years experience talking here) If you leave it in the fermenter for 3, 4, 5 weeks (or whatever) it wont matter. It won't hurt or help it. It's done. It is unlikely that any fermentation is going on after 5-7 days on an ale. You are just wasting your time. I often have mine in the keg and drinking it in 2 weeks or less. Aging it will help it clear off a bit but, if you bottle your beer it don't matter. Bottle it up! Age it in the bottle or keg. Git R Done!

Back