• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

calculator rinsed yeast & starter

Hey jomebrew! Just getting back to you about this. I know I sounded like a total tool in my last post. Sorry about that. I just get a bit too passionate about beer and brewing sometimes. I completely understand what you are trying to do and I totally respect that. Sorry if I got out of line. I really am not as big of a jerk as I seem. I just have a very deep respect for the roots of beer and brewing so, I tend to look at the way things were done 200, 300, 400 or more years in the past and I strive to keep it true to the time when many of these beer styles were created. It just seems more real to me when I leave behind all of the technology that we are aware of now that was a total mystery to our "forefathers". I have to pinch myself when I use 5.2 Mash Stabilizer in my mash rather than acid malt or something. I'm just such a purist that I get worked up when people make brewing too complicated. I guess I am much the same as you but in the opposite direction. I work infinitely hard to make brewing simple. You like Star San. I like boiling water. They both do the same thing. You clean yeast. I pitch it over and over and over but, I don't hold it long periods of time. It comes out of the bottom of the fermenter and right into the next batch. We are doing the same thing but with two very different approaches. I am the way I am because I have been doing this so long that I was not exposed to the new ways until I had already been brewing for several years. Oh. Trust me. I know all about the new ways of doing things. I'm well versed in them. I just like to hold on to what I was brought up with and, like anything else, people don't like change. The bottom line is, we are not that different. We are very lucky to share the passion of brewing and I hope to pass it down the line, just like you do. I just don't want new, young brewers to be scared away by the overly complicated and technical side of the craft and never get a chance to learn the simplicity of it. That is why I tend to promote the carefree ways that I promote. Let them get excited about brewing first. Then they can add a category to the BJCP guidelines when they become infatuated with the craft. I don't mean any harm to you. You are going exactly to the places I once hoped home brewing would go to. I hope you understand my wicked ways. They are what they are. I'll never change them. Brew on brother! 

Freak - I get your care free ways well.  I am pretty cavalier about my brewing.  However, I have met hundreds of new brewers and samples hundreds of homebrew.  A good 75% had something wrong with them and many were so avoidable.  So, those who seek out information on making beer most likely want to minimize the risk producing a batch of crap so my advice is here is always conservative.  When I see advice I think will risk I counter with my opinion.

Keep being yourself and sometimes folks will counter with their opinion.  the posters are entitled to a variety of opinions and can choose something that works best for them.

Back