• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

Potential yield of sucrose

brewbirds

Apprentice
Reaction score
Calibrating my refractometer I wanted to see how much sugar to mix in distilled water to get the theoretical 9.99 P gravity of sucrose (1.040). Oddly, My copy of Beersmith shows table sugar as 1.046. Whats up with that? I am sure there is something interesting to learn there. Thanks.

You're mixing two standards.

1.046 is representative of 1 lb of sucrose dissolved into 1 gallon of water. This is the standard measure of 100% solubility for grain and other fermentable sources. Since grain is not 100% dissolvable, its potential is based on what can be dissolved.

The calibration standard you cite is for determining brix. That's 1 gm sucrose in 100 gm water. This is a weight to weight ratio.

It's fine to check against a known sugar content, but unnecessary for calibration. Distilled water to read 0 is the standard for that. This creates a sharper line than sugar solutions.

Back