• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

tastes like wood

D

Derek McCully

my brew seems to have a woody taste to it is that what you call oxiditation or is it some bug, but i have a couple of brews like that. kit beer/bottles.thanking you for your help

they say oxidation tastes like wet cardboard and an infection tastes like vinegar.

Without knowing your recipes or your process which may yield other clues, it sounds like oxidation is the best guess.

Fred

Derek:

Depending on the malt you used and the beer style you are making, woody can be a postive attribute. Some malts are made to impart a character that some would describe as woody. What are the malts used in thes beer(s) in question? Oxidized beer as mentioned has a cardboard or papery character. When it is extremely oxidized, it has the taste of a sherry or port wine.

Dr Malt ;)

I've noticed that some hops can do this as well. I've done some batches that use bittering hops (nugget) for
flavor and aroma additions and it gives me a woody taste. Oxidation usually takes months to surface.

Jeff

Back