• Welcome to the new forum! We upgraded our forum software with a host of new boards, capabilities and features. It is also more secure.
    Jump in and join the conversation! You can learn more about the upgrade and new features here.

My first batch

FriarTuck

Apprentice
Reaction score
I started my first batch of beer from a Brewers Best European Bock beer kit last Tuesday, March 18th. As per the product instructions the fermintation should take 10-14 days. Today is only the 4th full day and the air lock has stopped bubbling. Is there a reason for concern here or anything I should do? I have read that you can open the fermintor and stir up the wort to re-activate the yeast, Any suggestions? Thanks from a noob for any help offered.

Have some patience.  It's doing just fine, but it needs more time.

I pulled up the instructions for this beer.  I assume that you don't have a way to hold lager fementation temperatures and that you probably did your primary fermentation at 65F+.  It isn't surprising that it fermented so quickly at higher temperatures.

Leave it alone.  It's doing fine.  Let it sit for a while and clear.  Just because the airlock is no longer bubbling, doesn't mean that the yeast is done.  They are busy cleaning up fusel alcohols and diacetyls. 

Basing fermentation activities on time is not the best way to go.  Every fermentation is different. 

You've probably fermented at a temperature higher than 70F.

I suggest that you let it sit for at least two weeks total, before bottling.  It wouldn't be a bad idea to try and drop the temperature down, as the instructions suggest before bottling it.

While your waiting, either get the book "How to Brew" by John Palmer or read the older online version.

Here's the link to the online version.  http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html

The book will be an eye opener.

If u have any confusion for making your first batch then you can always get help from other forum user. 

Join the club, on your first batch your using lager yeast, I got bad advise too! You should have started with an ale.
Welcome to brewing!

Whatever you do, do not stir it up. You can open the fermenter. Just don't stir it up. Most ales are done fermenting in 4-5 days. I normally keg mine in 10 days. Sometime less than 10 days. It won't hurt a thing if it sets for 14 days. Just don't stir that thing at all. Never ever do that.

Back